PDA

View Full Version : And it Starts Again

Pages : 1 [2]

VjjR
04-01-2011, 11:27 PM
One of the main benefits of a wsm is you can get relatively same loads as a win mag cartridge but in a short action instead of a long. Changing a 300 win mag to a wsm is kinda a contradiction of the entire reason a wsm was created. Not that I'm saying don't do it, but I dont think i have seen wsms offered on a small shank aftermarket barrel. but to answer your question the magazine would most likely still work, a 300 win mag and a 300 wsms cartridge are the same diameter at the rim. the only thing you would have to do is change the barrel or get your barrel re-chambered if your doing a same caliber switch.

I have a couple of questions about this build project of yours.

Is the Stevens 200 you bought as the basis for this build already chambered in 300 Win Mag?

I'm considering a similar build but I'd like to convert it from a Win-Mag to 300 WSM. My lack of experience with
Savage rifles has me concerned that the magazine would be different and in need of replacement
or modification or both.

My next question is about the aftermarket bolt-knobs pictured in this post. Are they made to be
threaded onto the end of the existing bolt handle somehow? I made a similar bolt-knob for one of my
remingtons.

I had to turn down the end of the existing bolt-handle and thread it to accommodate the new bolt-knob.

HollowPoint

geargrinder
04-01-2011, 11:53 PM
I've had several small shank WSM barrels.

In fact, I swapped a scope onto my 300wsm Krieger long action center feed dbm. Here it is next to my small shank 338 Edge.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001800.jpg

I've also had a small shank Hart in 300wsm and a small shank Shilen in 7mmWSM.

Varget 7-08
04-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Which brand stock is the tan one Gear?

geargrinder
04-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Which brand stock is the tan one Gear?

Stockade Pdog/Tactical.

I got it as a money saver and painted it myself. Plastikote- Stone Fleck with several heavy coats of satin poly.

Here's a picture that shows the texture a bit better.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001620.jpg

Varget 7-08
04-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh wow, very nice! I really like that texturing.

geargrinder
04-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Just remember.

It only works on left-hand rifles. ;D