PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun New Stevens 520 fan

sipi
10-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Almost 2 years ago I picked up an old Stevens 520 with a mod choke for $90.00 at a local gun show. My idea was to use it as a foul weather beater to help preserve my excellent condition 1915 vintage Win. Model 1912.

The action of the 520 seems nice and tight in spite of the fact that it looks just awful. It appears someone had painted it at least once with either gray or silver paint, but it's so grimy it's hard to tell. Surprisingly enough the bore is quite decent.

i've since cleaned it up with some solvent and started shooting shooting it. Over the last year and a half I've put quite a few rounds through it. It's become my favorite gun. It's well balanced and comes up and points beautifully. I also like the takedown feature better than my Mod 12. It sure seems to be a well designed and well built pump shotgun. Last Winter, I refinished and recheckered the walnut stock and forearm and they turned out decently. I'm even thinking of having it reblued.

I'm suprised that this gun doesn't appear to have much of a following. It sure seems like a true pump shotgun classic in every sense of the word.

Because I don't really know that much about it, the one thing that I'd like to find out is if I could shoot high brass super x loads through it?

I would enjoy hearing from anyone that has one, or is familiar with this gun.

Thanks, Sipi