PDA

View Full Version : Savage 338 Lapua

anytym
03-29-2011, 01:58 PM
I have just purchased a Savage 110BA 338 Lapua Mag. and have a few questions for any of the members here that may have some experience or knowledge about reloading for this caliber and rifle, in particular the Savage. I will be reloading with a Redding Type S Match Die Set, which will have a Neck Die, Body Die and a Match Seater Die. I will trim the cases with a Wilson trimmer. Now for my questions.
Are you able to load long enough to allow the bullet to touch the lands without restricting the bullet in the magazine?? Do you have to crimp the bullet to keep it from moving in the case when in the magazine? Any particular load that you have found to be accurate in your rifle? I will be shooting 300 gr. Sierra Match Kings, and Reloader 25 to start with. I just checked my first loaded cartridge that I made in order to measure the outside neck diameter for the neck sizer bushing I had to order, and the Neco Concentricity gauge measured less the .0010 run-out. Any help or advice anyone can give will be appreciated.

anytym

Damon
04-04-2011, 11:32 PM
not sure about the sierra's but with the 300 grain lapua scenars you can load touching the lands and still have plenty of room in the magazine.i have been hearing r-25 is very temp sensitive,so i have shyed away from it.i use 89.5 grains of retumbo with excellent results,but everybody i have talked to says i can do better with vihtavouri n560 so i ordered 2 pounds to try.
good luck the 110 ba 338 is a shooter.

anytym
04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks Damon,
I have only shot 2 rounds and today will be the 3rd. I am using 86 grains at the moment. I will have to see how it shoots after I break the barrel in. As these rifles get out in the public there will be more information on loads and powder. I also have, a short distance away The Hunting Shack, who is a major reloader.

Damon
04-05-2011, 12:37 PM
there is several people and huge thread going on about the 110 ba in the lapua going on over at snipercentral.com

anytym
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Damon,
Great,and I have been over there also but it's been awhile. I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
anytym