PDA

View Full Version : Weaver scope mounts and rings on Savage 12BVSS

Huskyflier
03-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I need some advise on scope mounts. I have a FM(Famous Maker) scope I picked up at a gun show. It is a 30MM tube with 44MM objective. (big end of scope) I know, you know, just being humorous. I presently have the small Weaver style bases on the receiver and need advise as to which weaver style rings to buy. I not opposed to buying new mounts as well. I don't really want the scope to be mounted so high off the bbl that I can't rest my face on the cheek rest so would like to get the lowest rings possible that would be comfortable to use. I am thinking that medium height rings would be perfect. However I have spent the best part of the afternoon trying to decifer the Midway catalog listing to select the right rings.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Good shooting!!!

jonbearman
03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
I use the burris zee rings with the replaceable inserts to correct the scopes elevation etc.They bolt right on to the weaver bases and picatanny rails. In your case I would try the mediums first.See if any of your friends might have some to try.If you buy them and they are wrong you are stuck with them.

Cycler
03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Weaver makes multi-slot one piece bases for both long and short action Savages. They are reasonably priced (~$20 MSRP) and give you a lot of options for locating the rings. They are more versatile than most bases with only one mounting position.

quickkillaught6
03-31-2011, 05:44 PM
I have a 12 fvss. and installed an EGW 20moa base on it. i used Burris low tactical rings on that base with a 30mm scope tube and a 44mm objective lense (the big end) lol it fit about right. theres about a 1/4" under the scope but if i were you, and you are planning on puttin a aftermarket stock on it or you want to (be able to shoot) long range later you can. Just make sure your scope has enough elevation travel to zero at a the closer ranges with a 20moa base with all things being perfect you'll need at least 20 down to zero it at 100yards. just my .02 tho hope this helps