PDA

View Full Version : B&C, Hollow or solid ?

Quickshot
03-28-2011, 09:10 AM
I hope this is not a percieved as a dumb question just a lazy one. I don't want to take off the recoil butt pad to look inside, but has anyone installed a comb adjuster device on a Medalist? I have used them on laminated stocks with good results but not sure if the composite stock is solid through to be able to cut it and fit the device. Anyone ??? Quick

tammons
03-28-2011, 10:03 AM
The Buttstock is hollow.

Quickshot
03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Thank you, Tammons, Time for Plan B. Quick

helotaxi
03-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Just because it's hollow doesn't mean that you can't put an adjustable cheek rest on.

Quickshot
03-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Helotaxi, Thats where Plan B comes in. I'm not interested in raising the comb as much as I am in moving it off center. The comb on most stocks are too thick for my liking. I prefer to move in to the side of my stocks rather than having to lean over them to get a sight picture. Had it been solid it could have been done a lot quicker. Being hollow will take a little more time to fill in the open areas to mount the hardware once the cut is made. May be a good project for next winter after groundhog shooting ends. Yes I know ,why didn't I buy a #%&* stock that fits in the first place but we all make mistakes and now I will have the pleasure of correcting this one. Quick

FW Conch
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a B & C Medalist. I cut 3/4" off the butt, dropped it down 3/4", screwed & Epoxied it back on to give the desired drop @ the heel. I took the belt sander to the cheek area, dropped the toe 1/2" & put a pleasant gentile curve on it. I then gel coated & painted it.

In the process of doing this, I found everything to be "COMPLETLY SOLID" !

The "great" thing about the B&C Medalist is the aluminum bedding block & skeleton. The not so great thing is the buttstock, IMAO, is suitable for "prone" shooting only & is like putting your face against a 2 x 4. Why does "tactical/varmint" have to mean "smooth as a cinder block? If my life were in the hands of a police sniper, I would want him to be as comfortable as possible ! Right ?

In the future I plan to purchase a Medalist & sand it down to a "sporter" shape. If B&C is "now" making them hollow I'll have to "rethink". Someone please verify ! Thanks - Jim :)

O yes. I also contoured the grip to fit my palm & thumb. This area was also "solid".

Quickshot
03-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Hey, Jim, Thanks for the info. Still going to wait now to the end of the season to tackle it, maybe. I should do like an old trap shooter friend used to do to his $5,000 dollar Parazzi shotguns, get out the wood rasp and make it fit. It sounds as if you had the same feelings about the B&C stock as I have. It sure is not a comfortable fit as is. Quick