PDA

View Full Version : Question on truing an action

Lnmi
03-27-2011, 02:39 AM
I have always hunted with a lever action so this bolt action stuff is all new to me. I will be sending my long action Stevens to SSS for a T&T job. I was watching a video on truing actions and seen they were recutting the threads. So my question is, with the threads cut different will prefits not work anymore? I'd like to pick up a new barrel but didnt know if I have to wait to see what the difference in threads will be. Thanks for any info on this.

GaCop
03-27-2011, 05:46 AM
The thread cutting is just smoothing and truing them up, no big change in geometry so barrel swaps are still an option.

82boy
03-27-2011, 06:06 PM
I was watching a video on truing actions and seen they were recutting the threads.
SSS doesn't re-cut the threads because there is no reason to do so. What work is done on a Remington doesn't need to be done on a Savage. Yes you can still use Pre-chambered barrels.
For an explanation on what is done in a T&T job there is an article in the FAQs section.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,4899.0.html

mopar440
03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
i just got mine back from SSS it made a big diference in bolt lift and smoothness. threads werent touched everything fit back on it like before. i havent got a chance to shoot it yet maybe this weekend