PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Barrel Questions

jayhawker
03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
You may have to give me some slack since I'm unsure I know what I'm asking here. If I go to a gunsmith and tell him I want him to put a new aftermarket barrel on my action, does he buy a blank and then chamber it himself? Or does he buy the pre-fit? What is the difference, expenses aside, in my buying a pre-fit barrel and installing it myself? I noticed that Shilen, for instance, says their pre-fit barrel chambers are cut 15% longer and that the customer has to have a 'smith cut the shoulder for the correct headspace. Where is the "buy the tools and do it yourself" in that. Any enlightenment here would be appreciated.

Pete

rsbhunter
03-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Any time you go to a gunsmith, you're paying for his time, the precision work he does , and his overhead, which is WELL worth the money you spend. If you feel comfortable putting on a pre threaded, fitted bbl. , then you can save some money......Most of the bbl makers offer chambering and fitting service, but the price runs $250.00-350.00....If you buy one short chambered (i did) then you find a gunsmith that will finish chambering it, and have freebore set to what you want........it's always the same answer, what are you wanting and expecting to end up with, and how much $$$$$ do you want to spend.......sometimes you can't get the first two without the third.....rsbhunter

jayhawker
03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
'If you buy one short chambered (i did) then you find a gunsmith that will finish chambering it, and have freebore set to what you want...."

Thanks for your rely. Is this always the case with all pre-fitted barrels? I always assumed one just bought the barrel and put it on.

sinman
03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
All prefit savage barrels should be drop in meaning no gunsmithing required. If you go with a quality prefit you will be happy with your results. You can go either way but it is cheaper with a prefit.

jayhawker
03-26-2011, 09:46 PM
sinman:

Will the freebore be such that I can set the jam where I want it?