PDA

View Full Version : McGowen vs Savage-barrels vs Sin Arms vs Somebody else

Pages : 1 [2]

VjjR
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
What about Shilen? Is there a reason they aren't mentioned in here?

I want a fluted barrel... Shilen wont flute a barrel and they wont do any warranty work on a barrel of theirs that has been fluted. Thats the only reason I haven't mentioned a Shilen.

Varget 7-08
03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh ok, I'm thinking about ordering one from NSS so I was just curious.

McGowenRifle
04-13-2011, 09:57 PM
savage barrels and McGowen are as close to the same as you can get. they are the retail sales for McGowen, so any problems in machining / quality come from McGowan, if it was in the ordering, it was savage barrels. Any problems I have had were with communication in McGowen early days, some one not hearing what I said very plain. I ended up with blanks and had to send them back for threading then have someone else chamber them. I have not dealt with Devin yet and have not heard one single hint of a complaint about his work.

for what I paid, I like my older A&B / shaw barrels

Savage Barrels is not a part of McGowen. They were started by a former employee and he is treated like any other customer. He needs a barrel for his customer and he orders it from us. McGowen gets paid for the barrels from them, not from their customers. My only question for you is "did McGowen take care of you?" And if so, how do those barrels shoot?

Krakkon
04-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I have had horrible customer service from Mcgowen... I had the run around given to me repeatedly about why I still had not received my barrel in nearly 5 months..
I finally gave up and cancelled the order.

squirrelduster
04-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I recently ordered a barrel from Sinarms, a McGowen in 6.5x284.
Sighted it in and did a ladder test at 100 yards. Couldn't find a good load they all shot in the same hole:).
2 grains of powder increase and they were all covered by a quarter.
I ordered a magnum contour 26" barrel.
Absolutely amazing, Sinarms did a great job.

hcpyro13
04-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I have barrels from shilen, mcgowen, and one of sinman's barrels. They have all shot great, with no complaints. I did have some problems with my mcgowen initially, it had a rough chamber. That was before they had their own reamer for 260AI, and Dan at McGowen was more than helpful making it right. I can't say I would have preferred not to have the downtime without the barrel, but their customer service was rock solid. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of the big names out there. With any luck I can pick up another action and start shopping for another barrel myself!

-Jake