PDA

View Full Version : new guy with barrel question

jraney
03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
i just bought a brand new stevens 200 in .223, i would really like to put a heavier barrel on this gun along with a few extras, but here is my question, in the midwayusa catolog there are some factory drop-in barrels that are made by savage for $135 these barrels are 24" with 1-14 twist,are these barrels of good quality i am not a competition shooter but do enjoy hitting what i shoot at, can i expect good thing from this barrel or should i save more and go custom? Also i really want a 20" instead of 24 can i get a barrel cut off to that lenght without destroying the accuracy?

thanks j

bootsmcguire
03-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I think the barrels you are speaking of are the A&B barrels. They are ok, not match grade or anything but they shoot. Most people that I have read talking about them say they are ussually as accurate as factory savage barrels. the 1-14" twist will limit the weight of what you can shoot but should be ok up to 52-55grs or so. 20" would be ok, Savage makes the 10PC in 223 with a 20" barrel and they are supposed to be very accurate.

You may want to check the Midway website, last time I looked they were out of stock on most of the A&B barrels. If they are not A&B and actually made by Savage,

in the midwayusa catolog there are some factory drop-in barrels that are made by savage for $135 these barrels are 24" with 1-14 twist,
then theres no question to quality level, but I am almost certain that Savage does not sell just barrels to anybody.

I would say your best bet is to become a paid member here and watch the classifieds for a take off barrel.