PDA

View Full Version : Axis bolt head question

jlang11
03-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi. I am new here, but have lurked for a few weeks. I recently purchased a (please dont move this thread yet) 10FCP and a couple weeks later picked up an Axis in .223. I got it at Walmart for $267, couldnt pass it up.

*****Maybe I was a bit hasty... seems the back part of the head does twist... so maybe just an ejection issue? Or not....

So my question is... on the FCP the bolt head seems to twist and turn, but the Axis one is stiff and doesnt seem to move. I havent applied much force, but the FCP moves easily. I put in a few snap caps and had the extraction issue, but will reserve comment till i get a chance to run a few rounds thru it to see if it works better.

Is the bolt head supposed to be so stiff? Or so loose on the FCP?

Thanks. You guys are awesome.

82boy
03-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Welcome to the site,
The back part you are referring to is called the baffle, yes it is suppose to turn freely. The Axis uses the same system and it shout turn freely. This would have nothing to do with ejection problems.

Timo722
03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Dont know if this quite relates-I have the edge in 308-have been very pleased with it-recently tho, the bolt retaining screw loosens while firing, so after 8 0r 9 cycles I have to retighten bolt retainer=easy to do , but I dont see this as a practical solution, Im thinking blue loctite-but even that shouldnt be the solution. Just thought id throw it out there before calling Savage. Went to Dunhams to check another "Edge" and it was nice and tite---no slop with the bolt handle Soooo anybody got something im misssing on this ?

sharpshooter
03-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes... there is something everyone needs to be aware of.
The Edge/Axis rifles use a different firing pin assembly than the 10/110 series. The firing pin spring is behind the cocking piece and is retained by the bolt assembly screw. The firing pin springs have a sharp edge on the rear that will dig into the counterbore of the bolt assemnbly screw, causing the spring to want to "unwind". This has been known to cause problems of the bolt going into battery and then "backing up". It will also show up when trying to remove the bolt assembly screw, it will feel like the spring is attached to the screw. The end of the spring should rotate freely against the bolt assembly screw, and if yours does not, remove the spring and duburr the sharp edge from the end coil. Lubricate with some heavy grease on the end of the spring and re-install. Loctite should NOT be used.

Timo722
03-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Yessir .....that got it. Rounded off and smoothed spring end. Applied silicone grease to spring end and inside bolt retainer screw. Cycled bolt many times and the world is good again- thank you for your quick and effective response. :)