PDA

View Full Version : barrel nut loose, now what??

Pages : [1] 2

loaders_loft
10-22-2009, 10:23 PM
last night I soaked my threads with liquid wrench, to aid the removal.

Tonight I clamped my action into my action vise and that into my workbench vise and with the aid of a 2ft breaker bar, I used my barrel nut wrench to loosen the nut. Worked pretty smooth, I must admit.

Now, how do I loosen the barrel?? Its certainly on ???more than "hand tight".

I was so concerned about how to loosen the barrel nut, I never thought about loosening the barrel itself...

Help appreciated!!

sinman
10-22-2009, 10:26 PM
loosen your action wrench and you should be able to unscrew it by hand.

dcloco
10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
After you remove the front scope base screw...

loaders_loft
10-22-2009, 11:21 PM
that worked perfect. Thanks!

Besides learning how to remove a savage barrel, I learned one other thing.

There's no such thing as a dumb question, but there is such thing as feeling dumb after you get the answer!

Thanks again.

Anybody interested in a savage barrel?

sinman
10-22-2009, 11:32 PM
become a member of the site and you can sell it on here. Was it the scope base screw or action wrench to tight?

Fjold
10-22-2009, 11:44 PM

There's no such thing as a dumb question, but there is such thing as feeling dumb after you get the answer!

I disagree, I've asked many dumb questions.

dcloco
10-22-2009, 11:48 PM

I disagree, I've asked many dumb questions.

I find the answers to dumb questions that I experience myself! ...well....sometimes! LOL! ;D

loaders_loft
10-23-2009, 01:23 AM
No scope base installed, jUst had the action wrench super tight. What's the difference between my acct and a"member"?

dolomite_supafly
10-23-2009, 06:34 AM
What's the difference between my acct and a"member"?

You have a basci user account but buying a membership allows you to view the classifieds here on the board as well as tech articles.

Go to your profile and click on "Paid Subscriptions" on the left of the screen. From here you can pay for your membership.

Best $12 I've spent in a while.

Dolomite

Dirk
10-23-2009, 07:38 AM

It's all about 'MONEY'!

Stu
10-23-2009, 08:21 AM

It's all about 'MONEY'!
Maybe....... but it's still worth 12 bucks a year. ;D

loaders_loft
10-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Done! I don't know why anybody goes to the mall anymore. Money is so much easier to spend ONLINE!!

Woodser
10-24-2009, 09:44 AM

It's all about 'MONEY'!

I am not a "member" yet, but I would sure rather give Savageshooters my $12 than the politicians. ;D

firemachine69
10-25-2009, 11:29 PM

It's all about 'MONEY'!

I am not a "member" yet, but I would sure rather give Savageshooters my $12 than the politicians. ;D

I think that's pretty unanimous here. :D

I agree on online spending. One morning, I go to our local gunstore, he had some mag pouches, the kydex 5.11 ones. I purchased two doubles, and kept thinking I'm spending way too much.

I proceed to go home, and order about $350 of 5.11 gear at an online vendor... And no footwear or coats, either. ::)

sweepint
02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I am having a heck of a time doing this as well. So i am not doing it wrong is the barrel nut a counter clock wise removal as well?

BrentWin
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I am having a heck of a time doing this as well. So i am not doing it wrong is the barrel nut a counter clock wise removal as well?

Yes, righty tighty, lefty loosey. Give the nut wrench a firm rap with a steel hammer, it'll let go after 2-3.

laportecharlie
02-12-2010, 09:33 PM
As viewed from the muzzle.

axio
02-17-2010, 12:27 AM
After you remove the front scope base screw...

I'll probably do this too in a few months when the Shilen arrives and I was wondering why do you need to remove the front scope base screw? I looked at the article in the technical section and in the pictures, i could see that both scope mounts were still in place. No offense intended, I'm just confused and want to make sure I'm going to do this right without breaking anything. Thanks!

possum1
02-17-2010, 01:42 AM
aint this sh!t fun :D

BrentWin
02-17-2010, 09:19 AM
I was wondering why do you need to remove the front scope base screw?

Sometimes the screws on the front scope mount are long enough to go thru the action and lock into the barrel threads. If you don't remove them the barrel won't spin out or the mount screw will bugger up the barrel threads as you remove the barrel.

After you have removed the barrel, reinstall the scope mount. If you can see/feel the mount screws sticking thru, remove them and file them shorter until they don't protrude. After that, you won't need to worry about it for future swaps.