PDA

View Full Version : Barnes ttsx ?

docshu
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey guys, I have a seating depth question and need your advise.
When I work up a load for my rifles I choose the powder I want to shoot, start with a safe charge and seat the bullets to the riflings, fire a three shot group then increase the powder charge 2/10 of a grain and repeat the process until I get the velocity I'm looking for while watching for signs of pressure. Once I find the speed node that produces the best group I can then start adjusting my seating depths futher from the riflings to achive my best accuracy.
I have never tried any Barnes so not real sure where to start. Barnes website says that the best accuracy will most likely be with the bullets seated from .030 to .070 from the riflings and they recommend starting at .050 from riflings.
My question is should I stick with my method or use theirs? If I use theirs how do you know which direction to go with the seating depth?
The rifle I'm working up a load for is a Savage Model 112, 25-06 with 26" heavy barrel, brass is Nosler, primers are CCI BR, powder is IMR4831, bullet Barnes tipped tripple shock 100 grain.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tony

tammons
03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I would start at 050 off and close down to about 020.
Or you could just start off at about 020 and work your way up to 050.

You have to push TTSX bullets really hard to get them to group but a 25-06 should have no problem doing that.

I have found and also been told by others that when you push them really fast like 3600 fps
they do some weird things. Way overkill on most animals. I shot a pig quartering towards me
with a 270 win, 95 gr ttsx, 3650 and it blew out his entire @$$ end.

An 80gr TTSX will do anything a 100 gr TTSX will but with more speed, depending on what you are shooting.

Try some RL17.

flyinsquirel
03-25-2011, 12:01 AM
I too have found that they come into their own when driven hard. My 270 likes the 130's 050 off.

Like Tammons said, if you dont like big holes in your animals use a different bullet. The exit hole on my antelope last year looked like an orange came out of it. That was a lung shot, no shoulder on the fore side to flatten the bullet out. It did go through one puny antelope rib bone though. Devastating to say the least.