PDA

View Full Version : Switch barrel

725franky
03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
I have a long action Savage in .300 WM and a short action Savage in .308 win. The idea I've been turning over is to see if I can utilize the short action gun as a switch barrel gun.

The advantage would be be that I would be shooting the "same" gun for familiarity and I would only need one scope. The fact that with heavy bullets seated near the rifling I have to feed the .300WM single shot style anyway; which makes it no more complicated to just use a short action... One of the questions I have though is: Is the short action strong enough? I believe that I've read that the only difference is the length but I just want to confirm.
Next question is: is it going to be as simple as just buying another short bolt and a .300wm bolt head? Are there any short action bolts that come with the proper bolt head (short action caliber with the same bolt face)?

The short action is a 10fp that I put in a Choate Tactical stock with the factory .308win barrel. The long action is a 116 that is in a Choate Varmint stock with a McGowen .300WM barrel. The tactical stock is more comfortable and I like the idea of getting used to shooting one gun instead of two... If it works out.

Ideas? Opinions?
I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

Frank

Ray Gunter
03-24-2011, 04:28 PM
The short Action is strong enough. No issue there.
Definitely a single shot.
I believe that I would rather have two complete separate bolts.
The thought of a sack of bolt parts to convert doesn't give me a warm feel.

725franky
03-24-2011, 05:12 PM
A sack of small parts sounds like a nightmare! I guess I forgot to state that my goal is to have one; stock, action and scope; and two; barrels and bolts. That would allow me to swap calibers by; changing the barrel, the bolt and adjusting the scope.

725franky
03-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Would a bolt for a .300 WSM work? I know the bolt face of the both the WM and the WSM are very close; but, are they close enough to work?

jglover_81
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
It should work fine!! I went the other direction on my long action to build my wsm

725franky
03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
I would go the other way and run the long action but I really prefer the Choate Tactical stock over the Choate Varmint stock...