PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 25-06 very long throat

Tnslim
03-23-2011, 09:50 PM
I just recieved a new unfired Stevens 200 in 25-06 from a dealer on Gunbroker with I believe a too long throat. I use the Hornady overall length gauge and using Sierra 100 gr bullets I can't touch the lands and keep the bullet in the case. When I pull out the tool the inner push rod is at the very end of the case. To seat the bullet a calibre's diameter in the case I will have a jump of around .250 and that can't be right. I tried 75 gr Sierras and 85 gr Nosler CTs and they were much worse as expected. The pushrod was completely out of the modified case. I also compaired the modified case against new Remington brass and the length was the same. There is no way possible to seat the bullet anywhere near the lands. Anybody else have this problem with the 25-06 and should I contact Savage?

geargrinder
03-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Why are you trying to reach the lands? None of the bullets you have listed are noted for being jump/jam sensitive.

I'm jumping about .250" with my 338 Edge with no ill effects.

Tnslim
03-23-2011, 10:27 PM
It's not so much trying to seat on the lands just checking throat depth before firing to keep an eye on erosion. On my two mod 12 vlp'S in 22-250 and 243 and also a mod 10 in 243 I have no problem touching the lands and still haveing adequate seat depth. My 22-250 VLP prefers a .010 jump and the 243 VLP likes .020 to .025 jump and I would think .250 is a considerable jump.

trappst
03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Does seem a bit excessive. I load 75g Sierra HP's at the lands and still have plenty of bullet in the case. My OAL measuring from the ogive with a digital caliper is 2.710". That's with the comparator zeroed out. Mine's a Stevens 200 as well and it shoots VERY well.

Have you shot yours yet? Might be something to call Savage about although I'm not sure what they might say. Any chance you can check the headspace?

keeki
03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
ive got a savage 110 25-06 and i have no problem reaching the lands with 75's

Tnslim
03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
No, I haven't shot it yet and I think I will contact savage and get their ideas on it. Thanks all for the comments. I haven't checked the headspace but seems like a good idea.

k80skeet
03-24-2011, 07:44 AM
I have they very same problem with my brand new 6mmBR 1 in 12 twist. This seems to be what Savage is doing now for safety reasons CIP spec's. I posted this same question on 6mmBR.com and most of the people had the same problem with them all being long throated in both the 1 in 12 twist as well as the 1 in 8 twist. I sent mine out to a gunsmith and he cut .350 off the barrel and rechamberd it with a .268 neck and used a reamer that was designed to shoot the lighter 6mm bullets 68gr-70gr bullets. Now I can touch the lands and still have almost a full bullet size seated in the case. Going with the .268 neck is the perfect size for the new Lapua brass in the blue plastic box. I had Harrels make me a die and bought a couple of bushings to make a perfect fit for the different bullets I shoot. So you are not alone in having a long throated Savage. With all this being said these long throated guns seem to be shooting very well. There were quite a few shooters that posted targets that were shot with bullets seated only .050 in the case and others with some jump still shooting sub.2's. I didn't shoot mine before I had the work done so I can not make a comparison. Before and after. So to to say they won't shoot well the way they come is not true. I just thought the would shoot better if I could touch the lands. Proof will be in the shooting. I am not suggesting anybody do what I did. Savage did this for a reason weather it is for legal reasons or not they must have believed it didn't hurt accuracy enough to bother with. Or a good trade off. Either way they still shoot better than the rest of the other manufacturer's.

Tnslim
03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I called Savage about this and was told that they would shoot factory loads only and that I was welcome to send it back and they would shoot it and check it for accuracy.

sharpshooter
03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I really doubt the throat is that long. The problem is your Hornady tool.
Most of the time the case on the end of the tool has a neck bigger than what is in the chamber and it will not seat all the way to the shoulder, giving you a false reading. What you think is alot of freebore is actually the length of the neck plus freebore.

Tnslim
03-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Most of the time the case on the end of the tool has a neck bigger than what is in the chamber and it will not seat all the way to the shoulder, giving you a false reading. What you think is alot of freebore is actually the length of the neck plus freebore.

Good point. I will certainly check that. I went by feel when it bottomed out.

trappst
03-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Definitely something to check. I don't use the Hornady tool any more...actually sold mine. I prefer a fired and properly sized case with a slit cut in the neck. Start a bullet in the neck by hand, rub a little oil on the ogive area of the bullet and chamber. Extract the dummy round carefully and measure.

The oil will help keep the bullet from sticking in the rifling. If you need more tension at the neck, just give a squeeze. I've had great results with this method and the results are VERY repeatable.

dkdaws
03-27-2011, 02:17 PM

Good point. I will certainly check that. I went by feel when it bottomed out.

I had the same problem with the Hornady 25/06 case, actually two different ones....maybe they had a bad run.

k80skeet
03-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Don't let any of these guys tell you it isn't long throated. Mine was and a lot of shooters on 6mmbr.com have had the same problem!! SAVAGE IS MAKING A LOT OF LON THROATED GUNS!!

Blue Avenger
03-27-2011, 04:35 PM
so dose weatherby, on purpose.

1Shot
03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
...long throats have less pressure...lawyer throats...lol..

dkdaws
03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Don't let any of these guys tell you it isn't long throated. Mine was and a lot of shooters on 6mmbr.com have had the same problem!! SAVAGE IS MAKING A LOT OF LON THROATED GUNS!!

No one said that the throat wasn't long, just to make sure you are getting a good reading from the tool.

Tnslim
03-28-2011, 12:27 AM

Give this man a ceegar. I checked the mod case and the neck was .014 bigger than regular brass. I sanded it down to match and works like a charm. Many thanks for this tip. This old dawg just learned a new trick. BTW, it doesn't have a long throat as 75gr Sierras will touch the lands with plenty to spare. THANKS AGAIN.