PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Savage Owner Here

Titan_Bow
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Howdy, I thought I'd introduce myself here as I will likely be along with lots of questions and advice. I am a long time bowhunter, and just bought my first rifle 2 days ago. Its a Savage model 16 in .270WSM. Its still in the process of being shipped to my FFL here. Its coming with a Tasco tactical mil dot scope and harris bipod. Its used, but in great condition. Its got the AccuTrigger, but not the new Accustock.
A few questions I have to get started next week at the range...

1. Is there any specific cleaning or de-fouling regiment you should do on a used gun before taking it out for the first time?

2. I'm a novice, and not handloading.. Whats a good round to start out with? Is it OK to shoot and sight in with cheaper rounds and save the more expensive rounds for hunting? Or is there a good brand/type to stick with for all around use?

3. For future tinkering on it, I read alot about the stocks having flex which impacts accuracy. How much better accuracy can I expect by upgrading the stock to something like a Choate Tactical?

4. I'm not sure on this scope yet either. Does Tasco make better scopes? MY only experience with them has been with very cheap scopes. Do they make a decent scope as well? I'm thinking this will be my first upgrade to this rifle, as I am a big fan of Vortex optics. I'd like to put a Vortex Diamondback on it at some point, but if this Tasco scope will do, I will keep it for a while.

375Win
03-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Most Savages shoot well with the tupperware stocks, be sure and clean up the barrel channel and make sure that it doesnt touch the barrel don't try and use the sling as a shooting aid, don't use a bipod and keep you front rest well back on the forend when shooting at the range or off a rest.

Tasco made some pretty highend scopes at one time , Titans and Japan produced target scopes, most of the Tasco scopes are now made in in low cost labor countries and quality can be iffy someone might get a great one when everything came together right and the next 10 might leave alot to be desired. For low end scopes I'd look at New Redfield, Weaver V's &K.s, Leupold VX-1, Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell 3200 and Burris Fullfields.

375Win

GaCop
03-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Vortex is another good scope for the money. While checking that the barrel is fully free floated, be sure to check the rear tang too. On the Savage it must float too so you may have to hog out a bit of plastic with a Dremel. The factory plastic stock will serve as a hunting stock for now after tweeking it but down the road, if you want to go the heavy barrel route, I'd look at the B&C Tactical and/or the Duramaxx.

There are many good copper removal cleaners on the market these days, Bore Tech Eliminator, Montana Extreme 50 BMG and Sweet's 7.62 to name a few. Welcome aboard, members here are more than happy to help a new member.

bluealtered
03-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Welcome aboard, this group loves questions. If it's used then it may be broken in already, as for ammo i would shoot what i plan to shoot in the field if it likes cheap ammo great if not not then it doesn't and won't group good off the bench or in the field, someone here will help with what works best in their .270wsm.

The tupperware stock has worked for me for a long time as a hunting stock and most of them will make clover leaf groups from the bench, the key here is to Learn the rifle, the more i shoot each one the more i learn how it works best.

The blackdiamond is a good hunting scope and the prices have come down on them to make them a good deal, add to that good customer service and they are hard to beat. blue

MaDa
03-24-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't own a savage 270WSM but i do own a Winchester model 70 ultimate shadow pre m.o.a. trigger.
As with the others it seems a new scope and rings may be in order. My rifle has a sporter barrel on it. and seems to like the winchester ballistic silver tip, i think it comes in 130 & 150 grain.

I don't have anything against using a lesser ammo when just getting yourself in the ball park with a new scope or new gun all together, but the old adage i've always been told is to always do your sighting in with the same ammo you plan on hunting with. That being said, I have never managed to get myself into the woods enough to find out what it can do on a white tail... soon though.

rsbhunter
03-25-2011, 12:50 AM
A good cleaning won't hurt, but please use a bor guide, MTM makes some reasonable priced one i think, use a nylon brush, and some good solvent...something for removing copper.....and LOTS of the proper size patches..i find that round patches work easier than square ones...As far as ammo, but what you can afford to shoot, for now to get familar with the rifle, adjust the trigger as light as you feel comfortable with(and is SAFE).....Practice the breathing, trigger squeeze, and you'll be amazed what kind of accuracy these rifles are capable of.Before hunting season, either spend the money on a good quality factory ammo, Federal, nosler, and even Black Hills reloads are excellent hunting loads.....and then stick with the load that groups the best for hunting....switching between ammo can and will mess up sight in...rsbhunter.....P.S. I;m glad you are trying rifle shooting/hunting, but it's normally rifle hunters that convert to bow hunting, not the other way around?