PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket stock for long action

savage300rum
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
i have a savage chambered in 7mm RM and would like to discard the flimsy factory stock. The magazine is attached to the stock and NOT to the action (centerfeed vs stagger). does anyone know where I can get a stock to fit this setup? Also, it is a blind magazine -would it be possible to convert it to HFP (hinged floor plate)? If so, what all parts would i need--and how much can i expect to pend on this conversion?

jpdown
03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
An after market Savage LA stock will work since the action screw spacing did not change from the stagger feed to the center feed. You will have to do a little work on getting the magazine positioned in the blind well. Do a search on "stock conversion" on this site to find "how to tip". A Bell and Carlson or Boyd's stock would be a nice upgrade and fairly cost effective for a drop in stock. I'll let you do the cost research.

If you want to convert to a HFP, then it is going to get a lot more expensive. Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) offers custom laminated stocks with the cut out for centerfeed actions and the HFP or DBM hardware. Stockade Stocks offers a custom composite CF stock. The wait on either is months, but worth it. You can purchase the HFP hardware through SSS. Or, you can contact Savage Arms and they will sell you the HFP hardware and/or a stock. Check with NSS to see if he has an extra stock. Or, put a WTB ad in the classifieds on this site.