PDA

View Full Version : Savage new target actions have different screw spacing

k80skeet
03-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Yesterday I called Jim Briggs owner of Northland Shooting Supply to buy a new target action to go with the new "F" class stock I bought off the internet. This is when I got the wake up call. Jim asked me which action I wanted the new type with 3.4 spacing or the old type that had 4.4 inch spacing. I didn't know they had changed them. The stock I bought had the older 4.4 spacing and I was lucky he had one action with the older 4.4 spacing right port and right bolt I bought and that was the last one he has. Be very care full to check on any target action or target action stocks you buy to make sure the spacing matches or you might end up like I almost did. Having a stock that won't fit your action. I haven't read anywhere that Savage was changing the spacing on there new actions. I hope this information saves some shooters from ending up with a target action and target stock that won't fit because of different screw spacing/

GaCop
03-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Would be nice if Savage had the decency to warn people when they make changes.

82boy
03-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Savage makes changes all the time, some are so subtle you would never know. Why would Savage make a great effort tell the public everytime they changed something? They are into selling complete rifles that makes no difference if they change something or not, and don't care about the aftermarket that it affects. I think that a lot of the changes are for the better good, such as not grinding the backs of the receivers, and the new screw spacing on the new target actions.

Savage should have changed the screw spacing years ago, on the single shot actions, but they did not, partly because they would have two screw spacings. On the new target actions, Savage moved the back screw forward using a model 40 trigger guard. This is not a new change. If you look at the article I wrote back in July of 2009 "Savage Model 12 Benchrest Dual-Port" it shows where this was first coming into production.

memilanuk
03-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Not sure if they've done the changeover yet, but the 12 Palma & Benchrest were the 'new' spacing, while the 12 F/TR & F-Class were the 'old' spacing. The LRPV started with the 'old' spacing, but I believe those now have the 'new' spacing. Not sure if the F/TR, F-Class, or 'bare' actions have made the transition to the new spacing yet.

k80skeet
03-24-2011, 01:03 PM
I didn't say there was a thing wrong with Savage changing anything and most of the time it is for the better as I think this shorter screw spacing is now you have 3 full pillars instead of 2 1/2. I was just wondering way that some of the people that knew this didn't post it so some of us that didn't know could have a problem buy stocks and actions at different vendors to build rifles that some of the part won't fit others parts even though they have the same model and type. I for one didn't have a clue when I bought a "F" class stock of the internet that it wouldn't fit any Savage target action. I only found this out when I called Jim Briggs to buy a target action. I was lucky that Jim had one in stock that would fit the stock I had already bought. Jim said this was his last one of the old type 4.4inch spacing and all the new ones he will be getting from now on will be the new shorter 3.4 inch spacing. So a word to the wise before you buy any target type stock if you don't already have the action do a little checking.

dmack
03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
I was just wondering way that some of the people that knew this didn't post it so some of us that didn't know could have a problem buy stocks and actions at different vendors to build rifles that some of the part won't fit others parts even though they have the same model and type.

Posted Mar. 18, 2010:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3883.msg223509.html#msg223509

memilanuk
03-24-2011, 11:10 PM
...and I'm pretty darned sure I (and others) mentioned it in passing long before that. No, I never put it out there as a 'bulletin' for folks, sorry.

SMK Shoe
03-25-2011, 03:33 AM
I was under the impression that the target action RBRP, RBLP were the 4.4" spacing and that the dual ports were the 3.4" spacing. I have a shooting friend that ordered a dual port and is catching he!! trying to fit a stock to it. Not many companies making the 3.4" spacing stocks.

Delaware_Ken
03-25-2011, 04:43 AM
Good Morning,

Another victim here. I ordered the 18637 target action, and when it arrived and I tried to fit it in my new target stock I was sick. As was mentioned above, not a word about the new screw spacing on the Savage website where I got my ordering info. Luckily a buddy of mine is interested in the new action, so I can re coupe some of my investment. I ordered a right bolt right eject action from Jim Briggs with the 4.40 spacing, so now the world is right again. I wanted a dual port, but Jim is out of them, and didn't think any more were available. I'm still pissed at Savage for not posting the info about the new spacing. Oh well, nothing is easy.

Ken

dmack
03-25-2011, 07:50 AM
I ordered a right bolt right eject action from Jim Briggs with the 4.40 spacing, so now the world is right again. I wanted a dual port, but Jim is out of them, and didn't think any more were available. Ken

if you want a dual port, you could have a left port milled, if interested contact sinman or sss.

k80skeet
03-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I am glad someone else ran into the same problem as I did. Not that I wish anyone that kind of bad luck and I am glad it worked out good for him as it did for me. Thanks To Jim Briggs we both got out of what could have a costly mistake. At least I don't feel so dumb about not knowing. So I guess there are more people didn't know this either. I feel I had a valid complaint at least in my eyes. But more than that I hope this post saves some other shooters from getting in to the same problem as I did.

Freestone
05-08-2017, 04:01 PM
This is an old thread, but I just ordered a new Savage PTA RBRP and it has the 4.4-inch spacing. It is April 2017 and I may have received an "old"-new stock item, as I'm not sure where my local gun-shop ordered it from, but I'd be surprised if it's old-stock from 8 years ago. Also, XLR-industries lists the Savage PTA action inlet option, but it's only for the 4.4-inch spacing in case anybody wanted a V-block style aluminum chassis for the projects.

Mozella
05-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Savage makes changes all the time, some are so subtle you would never know. Why would Savage make a great effort tell the public everytime they changed something? ......... snip...........

Because it's good business practice. Anyone with a web site should be able to do this with minimal effort. Savage should have a FAQ page where you could find out about things like their target action screw spacing, different magazine configurations, how to identify large vs small shank barrels and which rifles use which type of barrel, and all sorts of other information that currently takes a lot of digging and Googling to discover.

Then when you eventually get the information you're looking for, especially if it comes from a forum post, there is always the question of accuracy. For example, is the 3.4" spacing really the new version or is it the 4.4" spacing?

Try finding out if the Savage Model 12 LRP uses a target action and if it's the same action as the Model 12 FTR. Are they both large shank or not? These answers should be painfully obvious on the Savage web site and if they change, that should be noted too. It ain't Rocket Surgery.

J.Baker
05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Because it's good business practice. Anyone with a web site should be able to do this with minimal effort. Savage should have a FAQ page where you could find out about things like their target action screw spacing, different magazine configurations, how to identify large vs small shank barrels and which rifles use which type of barrel, and all sorts of other information that currently takes a lot of digging and Googling to discover.

Then when you eventually get the information you're looking for, especially if it comes from a forum post, there is always the question of accuracy. For example, is the 3.4" spacing really the new version or is it the 4.4" spacing?

Try finding out if the Savage Model 12 LRP uses a target action and if it's the same action as the Model 12 FTR. Are they both large shank or not? These answers should be painfully obvious on the Savage web site and if they change, that should be noted too. It ain't Rocket Surgery.

As Pat pointed out in the post you quoted, Savage is in the business of selling firearms - not appeasing aftermarket manufacturers or DIY'ers. They build a product for you to use and enjoy as-is, and if you decide to make any changes to it you're on your own as you've effectively voided your warranty and it's no longer their problem.

Does Ford or GM or Chrysler list all their bolt patterns, torque specs, tightening sequences, clearance values or parts interchangeability options for their vehicles/components on their websites? Nope! So why do you think Savage should? It's a ridiculous notion.

sharpshooter
05-09-2017, 01:51 PM
The 3.44" spacing started out 2008, with the Palma rifle and the dual port bench rest rifles. The idea behind the concept was that it added more thread engagement to the front screw, and eliminated notching the rear pillar. According to Joe DeGrande, this was going to be phased in to all of the rifles built on target actions, as soon as their supply of stocks were gone. Then one of the wiz kids decided that they ought to make a repeater version of the LRPV, which meant that they still needed the 4.4 spacing. The 3.44" spacing remained on the 2 original models, but somehow when they made precision target actions available, they paid no attention to what they grabbed off the line to fill the boxes. According to the original plan, the only precision target action that had the 3.44 spacing was the dual port. The Palma version with a right port was never offered as an action only. But yet I've seen all kinds of bastard configurations. Dual ports with a 4.4, left ports with a 3.44, and right ports with 3.44. Its like a box of chocolates....you don't know what your gonna get.
So right now, if you get a precision target action you'll have no idea what you're getting till you open the box.
I been in the middle of this dilemma when someone ordered a stock before they received their action, only to find out that it was wrong.
It is easier to re-drill and tap an action , than to move pillars in a stock.
I can tell you one thing for sure........the actions using the 3.44 spacing are a lot more sensitive to bedding. For that reason, I urge customers to go with a 4.4, even if I have to drill another hole.