PDA

View Full Version : Savage screws for "F" class stock

k80skeet
03-23-2011, 06:47 AM
I called Savage yesterday after buying a new "F" class stock to buy the (3) action screws a the little wood screw that holds the rear of the trigger guard. They charge me $20.00 plus shipping. Pretty expensive for screws they pay pennies a piece for. I needed them so I paid it. Here is the real catch when you buy a complete New Savage action you don't get the screws and when you buy a new Savage stock you don't get these screws. So on any new gun build you are going to have to buy these screws separate. No matter who you buy the action and stock from. I bought a New target action from Northland shooting(Jim Briggs) yesterday and he informed me of this. Thank God for people like Jim Briggs to keep us in formed on what the changes are coming out of Savage like the new action spacing changes. i could have bought a stock and the not be able to find a action to fit it. Or ever worse I could have bought one of the ( New shorter spaced action) and would have had or sell either the stock or the action to be able to put the gun together. Thanks Jim!! Please pass on any new information you get about changes Savage is making to keep us Savage owners up to date.

GaCop
03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
You can get the 1/4X28 screws at ACE hardware for a lot less. $20 would buy you a BIG bag of screws instead of getting s.....d.

82boy
03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I am fairly sure that Northlander includes the screws with the stock when he sells them. As noted all they are is 2 or 3 1/4 x28 screws and a wood screw. A few other places to try would be Sharp Shooters Supply, Jim Briggs, or the classified section on this site. I just looked and Midway and Brownells carries them but they are both out of stock.

northlander
03-23-2011, 11:31 PM
The Savage Actions do not come with Action Screws. I do ship the correct action screws when you order a Savage take off stock from me (unless you are buying a $25.00 Synthetic Sporter stock). Neither Savage or any other supplier that I am aware of sells their Actions with the action screws. Biggest reason is nobody knows which stock you will be using and almost every stock has its own set of "correct length and style of action screws". Some with different heads, longer bodies several of the newest centerfeed actions with the DBM feature have some unique screw lengths for the correct bottom metal attachment.

Jim Briggs
NSS

82boy
03-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Neither Savage or any other supplier that I am aware of sells their Actions with the action screws.

Well, It is normally customary when you buy an action for action to come with actions screws. ( I never knew, why with a Savage action they don't have screws.) If you buy a Mauser, Bat, Panda, Stiller, ETC action they come with action screws. The screws that come with a Bat are super nice, and expensive if you try to buy them.

Bad Water Bill
03-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Pat can you share with us the type and size of the rear trigger guard screw?

k80skeet
03-24-2011, 07:05 AM
The reason for my post was more to inform more about the new shorter action spacing on the new target actions. So nobody would buy a older type stock with the 4.4 inch spacing and happen to get a action with the new 3.4 inch spacing. As I almost did yesterday. I was just luck Jim Briggs happened to have one of the older target actions in stock. I bought his last old 4.4 inch target action. I just added the information about the action screws and the price to inform anyone that is buying actions,barrels and stocks they have to buy the screws separately. I hope fellow Savage shooters and fans find this information useful.

82boy
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Pat can you share with us the type and size of the rear trigger guard screw?

I guess your asking about the bat screws. Bat makes there own screws they are the same thread as Savage 1/4 by 28 except for the center screw it is smaller. With Bat screws the allen wrench has to go about a 1/2 inch inside the screw. They are made from Stainless. Bats do not come with a trigger guard, but use a standard Remington ADL style trigger guard.

Bad Water Bill
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Pat Here is the one I am interested in.

the little wood screw that holds the rear of the trigger guard in place.

k80skeet
03-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Nope I was asking about Savage screws. Savage has them in stock they are just very expensive. And it does make any difference weather you buy the action or the stock or both you still have to buy the screws separate. I don't think anyone else has them in stock.

Bad Water Bill
03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
As Pat has said and I have done, go to ACE Hardware and pick up 1/4 X 28 socket head cap screws. You may have to cut them down a bit so they do not bind your action BUT they have worked on all 6 of my builds. You can get them in blued or stainless. Your choice.

The biggest problem I have is finding the wood screws. >:(

range rat
03-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Just got "Blue" action and trigger guard wood screws from SSS the other day for 8 bucks. I got the longest action screws they had and cut to length. The wood screw is 5/8 long under the head.

k80skeet
03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Wished I have known that before I paid Savage Arms $20.00

Bad Water Bill
03-25-2011, 10:39 AM
If it has ANYTHING to do with a Savage come here first. That is why we are paid members. Ask questions here and save lots of $ and time.

Plus if you live anywhere we are having a Savage Shootout you are invited.

Tell us where you live?

k80skeet
03-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Bill, I should have thought of that but it never crossed my mind that they would change the screw spacing. When I saw that brand new "F" class stock on the internet for a steal I jumped right on it and bought it. Before I saw that stock I didn't have any plans to build a new rifle in the near future. But after I bought the stock then it was first and formost in my mind to get a action and build a new rifle. So that is how the whole thing started. Before that I never thought about what Savage target actions had for screw spacing. The( 2) I have are both 4.4 inches and just naturally assumed that they were all that way until I called Jim Briggs at Northland Shooting Supply and wanted to buy a action. That was the first I had ever heard of it.