PDA

View Full Version : Help ID Shank types by action

35Whelenshooter
03-20-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm in need of some help to ID the action type and what type of shank size they have. I'm new to this switch barrel system that you can do on the Savage actions, I was a Thompson shooter, but have moved to the Savage. I'm looking forward to any help that you can give me on this, looking at building a few of these.
Anyone that would like to contact off list kb9lwu@gmail.com
Mike

geargrinder
03-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Small shank is about 1.055" and large shank are 1.200"

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/images/Tech/Shank03.jpg

bootsmcguire
03-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Geargrinder is right. If a action is wearing a factory barrel then it is pretty simple. As in his picture you can see the one on the right is Large shank and has a step just past the threads. However (with factory barrels) you can almost always tell by caliber as well. If it is a WSM, SAUM, RUM, or the action is a Savage Target Action then they were Large Shank. Pretty Much anything else is a Small Shank.

If the action you are looking at wears an aftermarket barrel then the only way to tell for sure is to measure. You could also take the serial number of the action and run it through the parts look up on the Savage Website and that will tell you the original configuration that action was setup to when it left the factory.

jglover_81
03-21-2011, 12:15 AM
You can also measure the length of the barrel nut.... 7/8" is small shank 5/8" is large shank

xr650rRider
03-21-2011, 12:51 AM
You could also take the serial number of the action and run it through the parts look up on the Savage Website and that will tell you the original configuration that action was setup to when it left the factory.

The serial number lookup if far from accurate as it says my Stevens 200 7-08 started life as MOD 10XP PRED 22-250 AT CAMO.

bootsmcguire
03-21-2011, 01:15 AM
Huh, well then disregaurd that advice, I ran all my actions ('89 to '09) manufacture dates and all of them were in factory form when I got em and they all came up correct, but thats only my stuff. It would seem they have a few bugs to work out on the # look up feature.

xr650Rider, thanks for pointing that out.

learjet
03-21-2011, 08:19 AM
early rums and wsms i believe were small shank also. ez way is to look for that barrel step and the long barrel nut

35Whelenshooter
03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Thank you all that replay and posted, I will have to look at my new action that I have; and measure the inside of the shank. This will help me ID the differant types of shanks, thanks again.

Mike