PDA

View Full Version : Help

twcracker
03-19-2011, 03:16 PM
First round in my new 110 25-06 blew bolt open ripping ejector from the bolt. Ammo bought from a dealer here in Georgia after pulling bullet found wrong powder in round cause excessive pressure. Dealer offered to but my rifle but only the ejector, ejector spring and retaining ball are missing. Where can I get these parts?

thirty06
03-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Midway has them, if in stock. Or you could order from Savage.

Slowpoke Slim
03-19-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll bite,

How in the world do you know the factory (?) ammo was loaded with the wrong powder?

It "blew the bolt open"

?!

Are you saying that the bolt, all on it's own went from closed/battery position, to "open"?

What does the fired casing look like?

Have you had anyone inspect the rifle?

Have you talked to Savage about it?

If it's "brand new", and not just new to you, I would send it back to Savage and have them check it out, and check headspace while they had it.

What ammo maker, load, lot number of ammo, and have you spoken to the ammo maker?

Dust_Remover
03-19-2011, 04:07 PM
First, I think we need pics. Second, if some sort of serious malfunction caused parts to get knocked off, I think it best to take the rifle to a gunsmith to ensure that the rest of the rifle is safe for use. There's a possibility that the blast could have changed the headspace, or caused a hairline fracture somewhere else that could cause a serious failure that could really hurt you.

If anything, I would take the dealers offer to take the rifle off your hands and get a replacement.

Branden

bootsmcguire
03-19-2011, 04:51 PM
We are under the asumption that the ammo he bought was New Factory and not Reloads. One of the shops around here offers reloads at a discount price made from once fired brass. (and to save FFL discussion they do have the license to manufacture framed on the wall). Just a possibility...

Slowpoke Slim
03-19-2011, 05:36 PM
boots,

Yeah, that's why I put the "(?)" in my post. He doesn't come out and say it's factory ammo.

If it's dealers reloads, then that would make sense why the dealer offered him a new rifle. If that was the situation, I would definitely take him up on the new rifle. I would also stop buying his reloads!

bootsmcguire
03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Slim, I would agree with that. I was just stating the obvious I guess...... :D

twcracker
03-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and concerns. The ammo was from a local ammo manufacturer here in Georgia that loads ammo from new components. We have several in Georgia. He is licensed and has liability insurance. I know it was the incorrect powder because the list the components on the ammo box including the powder used and the load weight. I pulled a bullet from the ammo pack and was able to see the powder used and weight it. Load was listed on the package as 48 grains of IMR 4350 which is an cylindrical powder, the powder in the cartridge I unloaded contained 42 grains of a ball powder that looks like W748. I am in discussion with the business owner now. The 25-06 ammo was from a run completed a year ago and he stated that W748 was his standard powder for several cartridges in the 308 case family. I do plan to send the rifle to Savage Monday and we will go from there. Again thanks.

us920669
03-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Can you let us know exactly what happened with the bolt?

twcracker
03-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Okay, when I shot the rifle there excessive recoil and the bolt handle was raised about 2/3 from battery, to me this was blown open put I guess I should have stated blown out of battery. It told all of my effort to raise and try to extract the bolt. The extractor, not the ejector, was pushed about half way out of the bolt and binding the bolt travel. I pushed the extractor back in place and then removed the bolt from the rifle. The ball bearing was in the magazine and the extractor spring was mangled beyond repair. Just a few minutes ago I tried to replace the bolt minus the extractor, spring, and ball bearing. The bolt was very hard to close but after working it several times it smoothed out. This leads me to believe that the headspace may have been effected. I do not normally shot any factory ammo and have loaded my own for 30 years also had a FFL to manufacture ammo in the 80s. I was going to shot this ammo to get the brass for my loads. The ammo was purchased back when reloading supplies were hard to find and has been in my shop for close to a year. What pisses me off is that I was going to start a build based on this action next week now I am waiting again. I guess I should consider myself lucking I still have two eyes and ten fingers.

Blue Avenger
03-19-2011, 11:13 PM
those are the normal parts to lose when a primer blows out. the pressure bleeds past the extractor out the small hole seen in the receiver. Totally normal to lose those parts when that happens. Many hand-loader's that run the high edge keep spares on hand. I have never seen a gun damaged beyond that.

Slowpoke Slim
03-20-2011, 06:09 AM
That's probably a good idea to have Savage check it over. The lugs could have been set back in the receiver, or the bolt damaged if you had trouble working the bolt afterwards.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

k80skeet
03-20-2011, 06:55 AM
I hope everybody learned a valuable lesson from this!!!!! DO NOT BUY REMANFACTURED AMMO!!! BUY FACTORY LOADED OR LOAD YOUR OWN!!!! THAT MANFACTOR WOULD BE BUYING ME A NEW RIFLE OR WE WOULD BE GOING TO COURT!!!

Blue Avenger
03-20-2011, 10:09 AM
I hope everybody learned a valuable lesson from this!!!!! DO NOT BUY REMANFACTURED AMMO!!! BUY FACTORY LOADED OR LOAD YOUR OWN!!!! THAT MANFACTOR WOULD BE BUYING ME A NEW RIFLE OR WE WOULD BE GOING TO COURT!!!
But I like black hills ammo!!!!!!

keeki
03-20-2011, 11:17 AM
im surprised the bullet even left the barrel at 42gr

stumpjumper400
03-20-2011, 03:28 PM
was it Georgia arms that sold you the ammo?

twcracker
03-21-2011, 06:39 AM
The ammo did not come from Georgia Arms

wch
03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
+1 for "take the new rifle".