PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Questions about 99E in .308

fishteach
10-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post. I just acquired a 99E in .308 and have a couple questions about it.

1) It has a set trigger, I pull it once to set it and then a 2nd time to fire. Is this a standard feature or something somebody had done to it? Or is it something defective?

2) I'm hoping some of you can help me with the year of manufacture. It's a 99e in .308, has a B789xxx serial number located on left side of frame on the lower edge, 20" barrel that says "Savage, Model 99E Series A, Westfield, Mass. USA, Cal .308 WIN" on it, has a rotary magazine, lever safety, and the markings on the lever boss read "YH19". There is an "S" on the bottom of the barrel next to the receiver, an "L9" or "67" (depending on how you're holding it) on the right side of the barrel by the receiver and a "SP2" at the top of the barrel next to the receiver. It says "Savage Model 99E" on the left side of the frame ring. It has a pistol grip stock with checkering and a forearm that is straight tapered with checkering.

3) I bought this along with a 1956 Winchseter 94 30-30, and have $375 invested in the pair, but they have some rust issues. The rust is spotty on the barrels and receivers. I have been working on the Savage with oil and 000 steel wool, but unfortunatley it's to the degree that you can't remove it without removing the blueing too. The rust is light enough that the metal could be polished and reblued with out any scarring. They are both in about the same state, with excellent bores and are in perfect mechanical condition to the degree that I don't think either was used very much, just not stored very well. My question is this, should I have it reblued or just shoot it?

Thanks, Brett