PDA

View Full Version : how to

calib
03-18-2011, 11:59 PM
how do you figure out the correct bc of a cartridge? i mean i have the bullet bc, but how do i find out what my bc is with my muzzle velocity of my load?

KRP
03-19-2011, 12:13 AM
The cartridge doesn't affect bc. You could do the math and come up with a theoretical number for the bullet, the manufacturer has done this for you already though. Multiple chronographs in series is probably your best bet to calculate bc for you specific conditions.

gotcha
03-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Calib, I'm not a ballistician, mathematician or mortician. ;D But, B.C.'s do vary w/ velocity as you indicated & according to Sierras web site. I just googled ( ballistic coefficient calculator) & came up w/ several on line programs to give you the answers you seek. Berger also has a quick & simple on line bullet drop chart calculator that requires a B.C. to plug in, as well as, other necessary data. Hope this info is helpful, Dale

helotaxi
03-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Brian Litz discusses the issue of ballistic coefficient at length in his book Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. Definitely worth a read if you're interested that type of thing. Best part is that it includes very capable ballistics software and contains a section of tested ballistic coefficients for more than 175 different bullets.