PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111, upgrading the trigger and stock?

bottlerocket
03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
How much difference will I even see? I picked up my 111 (non-accutrigger) from a gun show on the cheap, and its in outstanding condition. I want to at least upgrade the trigger and I was looking at the SSS comp trigger since it offers a drop in option for the savage, and according to their site it is adjustable to anywhere from 2lbs to 12oz. Is this considerably better than what the stock trigger can be worked to? I believe I have a 3 screw.

Also this stock is hellish. The recoil pad feels like the same material as my trashcan, it offers just about no relief from recoil. Its only a .308 so its not horrible, but still a little padding couldnt hurt. I was curious as to what affect an aftermarket stock would have on accuracy of the rifle. Im happy with the feel of my stock now, just the pad sucks. The hang up for me is most stocks Im seeing online are about 80% the cost of the rifle. Is it even worth it? I use this thing for hunting and plinking, no bench or comp shooting.

Terry Balding
03-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Check out Boyd's stocks, and the rifle basics triggers.

rsbhunter
03-18-2011, 10:10 PM
If you don't mind the stock, why not change out the recoil pad? As to triggers, the Sav-1 from Rifle Basix is great, and the SAV-2 is more than most non bench rest shooters will ever need....SSS is also an excellent choice...rsbhunter

bottlerocket
03-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Sweet that SAV-1 looks perfect.

I did a search for new recoil pads and all I could find are slip-on type. Do they sell any that mount in place of the stock one?

82boy
03-19-2011, 10:42 AM
If you want the best then get the SSS trigger.

ellobo
03-19-2011, 02:06 PM
While the SSS comp trigger and the others mentioned that get down to a light pull are fantastic triggers, I would not recommend a light trigger for hunting. On a cold day with cold insensative fingers I cant feel a trigger. I dont want a trigger so light I cant feel the letoff. For hunting I use 3 screw Savage triggers adjusted to 3 lbs. My 2 cents worth.

ElLobo

bottlerocket
03-21-2011, 12:00 AM
While the SSS comp trigger and the others mentioned that get down to a light pull are fantastic triggers, I would not recommend a light trigger for hunting. On a cold day with cold insensative fingers I cant feel a trigger. I dont want a trigger so light I cant feel the letoff. For hunting I use 3 screw Savage triggers adjusted to 3 lbs. My 2 cents worth.

ElLobo

Thanks for the input! I might just have mine worked on. Any advice for the recoil pad? That has got to go!

jglover_81
03-21-2011, 12:19 AM
If you will look in the FAQs it will tell you step by step how to adjust your 3 screw trigger yourself ;)

jpdown
03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure from the post if you've got a plastic or wood stock. If it's a wood stock, then a DIY bedding job will be all you need. Accuracy may benefit from a better stock if it's one of the tupperware ones. You might want to shot it first with some 165 gr match ammo. Might find in has all the accuracy you need for hunting. The easiest DIY recoil pad is the Kick-Eez. Google for Kick Eez templates. Print them off and find the pad that fits your stock the closest. You may need to do a little sanding on the pad edges to fit after taping the stock. Midway carries the Kick-Eez pads. Limbsavers are about the same, but much harder to fit from my experience.