PDA

View Full Version : sightron vs vortex

Pages : [1] 2

calib
03-18-2011, 01:45 AM
i am trying to decide on a scope. i have looked at the votex viper pst and the sightron SIII in the long range models. i like that in the sightron i can get higher power. the pst tops out at 24 power. does anyone have an experience with both of these or have experience on either one? i am thinking the 32 power for sightron or the 24 power for the vortex.

another question is in english dummy term what is the difference between front focal plane and secondary focal plane?

james86
03-18-2011, 03:37 AM
I got a Sightron SII Big Sky about a month ago, it blew me away. Before this scope, the nicest I had owned was a Nikon Buckmasters. The Sightron glass is crystal clear. It's 10x better than my Nikon. So far, I haven't found anything about the Sightron that I don't love. If you do get a Sightron, you may want to do it before they stop doing their $75 mail-in rebate. I don't have any experience with the Vortex, but I've heard very good things.

As far as first focal plane vs. second, with the first focal plane, the reticle will remain the same size regardless of what magnification it is set on. This is very convenient for reticles with "hold-over" marks (mildot, BDC, etc.). That way, once you know where your specific load will hit with each mark in your scope, you're all set. With second focal plane, the reticle size will change depending on the magnification level. This means that if you are shooting at 200 yards on maximum magnification and you are using the second dash in the reticle, once you reduce the magnification you will no longer be able to use the second dash down. The reticle will change size and you will need to recalculate to figure out what hold-over point to use. It's much less convenient to try to use unless you either: always use it on one magnification, or you use elevation adjustment to compensate for drop, rather than using hold-over points in the reticle. If you are planning on doing either of those, then it really doesn't matter whether you get first or second focal plane.

I hope that makes sense.

-James.

calib
03-18-2011, 01:49 PM
thanks for the reply's i have even gotten an e mail i think the scope i may be looking for is more to the sightron than the viper.

Senderofan
03-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Calib:

Either choice would be an excellent scope. The Sightron would be extremely nice for more general shooting / hunting. Whereas the PST might serve a more specific niche.

Here's a nice, and brief, explanation of first and second focal plane reticles. " A reticle located in the first focal plane grows or shrinks along with image size when the power is changed. This is common in the Eurpoean scopes. A reticle located in the second focal plane stays the same size as the power and image size changes. This is common in American scopes." Explanation from the "Exbal" program website.

Wayne

james86
03-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Here's a nice, and brief, explanation of first and second focal plane reticles. " A reticle located in the first focal plane grows or shrinks along with image size when the power is changed. This is common in the Eurpoean scopes. A reticle located in the second focal plane stays the same size as the power and image size changes. This is common in American scopes." Explanation from the "Exbal" program website.

Whoops... I got 'em backwards. My bad.

-James.

Senderofan
03-18-2011, 04:14 PM

Whoops... I got 'em backwards. My bad.

-James.

Very easy to do. I don't think it was too many years ago when we hardly saw FFP scopes on the market much....outside of Europe and perhaps the sniper world.

Wayne

calib
03-18-2011, 09:53 PM
i thought i had heard of one of these causing a point of impact change is this true if so what plane does that

helotaxi
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
i thought i had heard of one of these causing a point of impact change is this true if so what plane does that

With a correctly made good scope, neither will affect POI with zoom.

calib
03-21-2011, 01:16 PM
where are some places that i may find some good deals on a sightron

Hammer
03-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Variable power scopes are just a fad that will soon pass.

sniper15545
03-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I own both brands and both are very good scopes for their money.

helotaxi
03-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Variable power scopes are just a fad that will soon pass.

LOL. So are smokeless powder and magnified optics in general.

Savage Lover
03-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I love my Sightron SIII. Best scope I have ever owned. Have dialed it up and down a gazilliion times and always returns to zero. A quick search turned up this one with free flip ups http://www.shop.shoot-long.com/Sightron-SIIISS624x50-LR-MD-SIIISS624x50LRMD.htm Just buy one and you won't regret it.

joseph
03-31-2011, 12:43 AM

I have two ( inexpensive ) SFP scopes that I had to put on .22 rifles because they had POI changes. I made my decision on getting the PST am glad I did.

Here is my experience with my Vortex 6-24x50mm PST MOA scope with a Vortex Custom Turret:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886&highlight=

joseph

jpdown
03-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Sightron Big Sky scopes deliver high quality and excellent glass at a reasonable price with excellent warranty. Whittaker Guns, Owensboro KY has the best selection of Sightron scopes and prices that I've been able to find anywhere. The adjustments are spot on with their Exact-Trac system. The SIII's get great reviews, but I've never owned one.

I've owned only one Vortex Viper scope, glass was very good, but not quite equal in my eyes to the Sightron Big Sky. IMO, Vortex is fairly new on the riflescope scene, but appear to be building a strong reputation. They are certainly bringing a lot of innovative features to the mid-price scope market that where once only available in high-end scopes.

IMO, both Sightron and Vortex offer top quality scopes, glass and warranty at an affordable price. To my eyes, the glass is superior to my Leupold VX-3's and they cost a lot less. Either Sightron or Vortex are an excellent choice. So it comes down to which scope, features and reticule you like the most.

GaCop
04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I've never looked through a Sightron but recently upgraded from a Vortex Crossfire to the Viper 6.5X24X50 PA with the V-Plex reticle. The clarity, contrast and light transmission is excellent. Vortex's warranty and customer service is probably the best you will find anywhere.

calib
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
im glad to hear that gacop, i have my vortex viper pst on backorder now hoping to see it by end of month cant wait to see it

earl39
04-08-2011, 11:29 AM
where are some places that i may find some good deals on a sightron

The best deals i have found on Sightron scopes are at www.ammozone.comCan't say that everything is a better deal there but Sightron stuff sure is. it should show www.theammozone.com

Gary

My mistake i was thinking about something else it is zone not master.
You know if i would just copy and paste i might get this right.

GaCop
04-08-2011, 04:22 PM
im glad to hear that gacop, i have my vortex viper pst on backorder now hoping to see it by end of month cant wait to see it

Good pick, top of their line.

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-10-2011, 01:41 PM

Variable Power First Plane reticle scopes are mechanically less prone to shifting impact than 2nd Focal plane models when zooming. A poorly made FFP will usually hold a zero through the entire zoom range where as a similarly poor quality 2nd plane will not.

That being said, MOST variable power optics made today hold tolerances that don't give much if any shift when zooming. Not true for some cheaper ones.