PDA

View Full Version : Mount on Edge

mtmorris
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM
First off, sorry if this is already answered in previous posts, i looked through 20 pages and didnt see the exact answers i needed.

Anyway, I'm getting a Savage Edge .243 and a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 scope, I'll be getting the one piece mount but I am confused if I get the 0 MOA or the 20 MOA, Hunting I will most likely be under 300 yds. however, I will also be shooting targets beyond 800 yards. Does anyone have a suggestion for which to get, the 20 MOA or the 0 MOA mount? Thanks all!

My Best,
matt

P.S If there is a thread already with this exact answer could you post the link? Ill keep searching.

MikeinGBWI
03-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Greetings.
I would check your intended ammunition's ballistics here: http://www.handloads.com/calc/. You might find that, with the Redfield scope you want, you need a 20 MOA base to reach 800 yards and then have to dial way back to the edge of adjustment, or quite possibly not have enough adjustment, to get to 100 yard zero. The Redfield scope lists in it's specifications that it has 50 MOA adjustment (likely +/- 25MOA from center). I went to the Handloads calculator and plugged in some numbers of typical hunting ammo. With a 100 yard zero, I saw that one would need ~28 MOA adjustment. A zero MOA base probably won't work out to 800 and a 20 MOA base will have you dialing a lot for the shorter range work. You might end up with problems loosing your zero, having to count all the turns as you switch between "short" and "long" ranges.
Something to consider is Burris' Signature Zee rings. With the 1" tube of the Redfield, you can use the offset inserts to bring you somewhere in the middle of your adjustment range.
I would also strongly consider an adjustable objective/side focus at magnifications above 10x.
If you are new to long range shooting, you might want to focus on the 100-300 stuff for a while and creep up on the long range shooting as your comfort and experience develops. There is a night and day difference between shooting sub 300 yards versus 800 yards.
There is some good reading here: http://www.opticstalk.com/long-range-101-amendments_topic23969.html that might help you get going. Between this forum and the one I just mentioned, there is a wealth of information available. Grab a beverage, get comfortable and have fun reading.

Shoot Safe,
MikeinGBWI

mtmorris
03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Thankyou so much for you time. For the Burris Zee Rings, I'm assuming I would probably get the Medium or Low, correct?

My best,
Matt

MikeinGBWI
03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Matt,
Sorry it took a bit to get back to you.
I use the medium on a zero MOA EGW base and I have plenty of clearance for a Nikon 42mm objective with caps. This is on a .308 that is set up for 600 meters (~660 yards). At this range, I had no need for the 20 MOA base and the .010 inserts help keep me close to the "mechanical center" of the scope adjustment. If I ever want to push the distance out a little further, I can simply switch to the .020 inserts.
After looking at the photo of the EGW Edge base, it "appears" that it sits lower that the model 10 Savage base. If/when you have the base, post a question for height comparisons, or PM me and I can measure mine.
These folks here: http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-riflescope-signature-rings.html are both excellent to deal with and are Savage Shooters sponsors. I highly recommend them. A call to them will help you in proper ring selection, as well.

Shoot Safe,
MikeinGBWI

mtmorris
03-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Good news,
I have decided to get the Stevens 200 with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40, so the Model 10 EGW base should be the right fit for it (according to their website). And as you suggested I'm going to go ahead and get the Burris Zee rings in the Medium. Thanks again for your time and help.
My Best,
Matt

P.S I tried PMing you this info but I am not sure if it went through or not. ???