PDA

View Full Version : 7 mag re-barrel to 7 wsm

jcode
03-16-2011, 04:59 PM
What is everyones thoughts on re-barreling a small shank 7 mag to a small shank 7 wsm. I know the wsm is a large shank but savage has made some small shank wsms before. What are the draw back of a small shank wsm? I read that there is a risk of over pressure in the chamber area causing a basically split barrel. I have also read that it has been done a lot with no ill side effects also. Any personal experience on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks

ellobo
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
I have a question. Why would you want to rebarrel a long action rifle to a short action cartridge with virtually the same ballistics? I would like to hear your reasoning.
El Lobo

jcode
03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
This is my first build. From the research i have done i think the wsm outperforms the mag not by a lot but when you get out in the 500 to 1000 yard range there is a difference. I am going to go with the Berger 180 vdls or 168 witch ever one shoots the best out of my build. I like the shorter compact case. I think when you find the right powder more is used in the wsm then the mag. I'm not a big fan of the belted case either. With the long action you don't have the issue of your bullet not fitting in the mag when it come to reloading. I would appreciate any input you have on the subject as i am still learning. Thanks for the question.

jglover_81
03-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I just built a 7 wsm on a long action mainly so I could load them long... so far I really like it!

shooter98
03-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a question. Why would you want to rebarrel a long action rifle to a short action cartridge with virtually the same ballistics? I would like to hear your reasoning.
El Lobo

It's quite common actually. The 7 mag and the 7 wsm may be similar on paper but that's where the similarities end.

geargrinder
03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I've done it on a couple small shank long actions. It works great, no draw backs.

It lets you seat long VLD type bullets or into the lands.

My favorite is my centerfeed action with a DBM.

mytwo60
03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
El Lobo

It's quite common actually. The 7 mag and the 7 wsm may be similar on paper but that's where the similarities end.

Do you have an example of this? Is this also true for 300 win mag vs. 300 wsm?

I would not switch myself unless I was SERIOUSLY competing in 1000yds BR.

shooter98
03-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I do but I'm not going to type it all out. Just use google.

Rover31
03-17-2011, 12:19 AM
There is a reason that the bench guys use short fat brass (it's not cause they are easier to catch).
The powder burns efficiently, evenly, thus "better" and more accurately.
T

geargrinder
03-17-2011, 01:04 AM
I do but I'm not going to type it all out. Just use google.

At work, we call that a seagull maneuver.

Flew in, crapped all over, flew away.

jcode
03-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info and confirmation of my thoughts guys.

bsekf
03-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Isn't the WSM a shorter case? Won't you have to set the barrel back and that will entail threading. Is there enough barrel material to extend the threads?

It's early, am I missing something?

bsekf
03-17-2011, 10:43 AM
I said it was early! Re-barrel not re-chamber ;D
Disregard previous post.

Bill