PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 SPC

jeepmann1
03-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Is there a bolt face that will work on a model 10 action for the 6.8 SPC size rim?

Nor Cal Mikie
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
No "factory" bolt head from Savage. I had mine cut from a .223 bolt head. Works like a champ and bug holes are the norm. ;D

sinman
03-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Yep just take a 223 bolt head and open it up. I have a 6.8 barrel to cut right now. I would suggest going with the spcII though

Nor Cal Mikie
03-16-2011, 12:44 PM
I built mine with the shorter 6.8 "SPC" chamber rather than the longer 6.8 SPC II.
I figured if I went with the shorter "SPC" chamber I would be able to jam my short bullets (90s, 100s and 110s) and still have enough bullet left in the neck. So far I've had excellent results. As always, YMMV. ;)

helotaxi
03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
The benefit of the Spec II chamber is that you can run hotter loads without getting excessive pressure. The light bullets suitable for the 6.8 don't need jamming into the lands to get good accuracy. Jumping them is fine and will keep the pressure down further.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-16-2011, 08:26 PM
The SPC II is geared more for the AR platform and it's operation. On a bolt gun platform you can adjust your loads to keep pressure at bay and not worry about working the gas system.
Bolt gun builds are next to nothing compared to all the AR builds. You don't even think about jamming bullets in an AR but you can try just about anything in a bolt gun. ;)

Bigfoot
03-16-2011, 10:29 PM
The real problem with the Saami chamber was they screwed up the angle at the start of the lands making it way too sharp, so sharp that it would shave some softer plated bullets and the copper build-up would constrict the chamber and blow up barrels. This bad lead angle is mostly what caused the high pressures, that and the 10 twist barrel. The Spec ll chamber gave it a 45 degree angle and yes increased the lead. The difference in lead between the two chambers is tiny.

tammons
03-16-2011, 11:29 PM
That problem as I understand it was 99% one type of copper plated bullets.
Cant remember which one, but it would shave of a tiny ring of copper plated lead.
Next round another next round another etc, until they stacked up, started jamming bullets
and blowing primers and whatnot.

I had a slow twist 6.8 spcII ar but my dad, now 90 YO and still hunting, has a mini 14 in 6.8 spc
and it has a 10 twist SPCI barrel. He loves it.

I ran some hot loads through it and never really had any problems with it.
It did show slligtly more pressure than a spcII 11 twist but not what I would call a whole lot more.

Mostly loaded it with 110 gr prohunters and barnes 110 tsx originally and 95 gr TTSX bullets now.

When I had my AR I just backed off my max and loaded what would shoot with his rifle and called it good
which would still DRT any hog.

Its a great round.

One day when I am old and get tired of recoil I am going to build a 6.8 SPC savage bolt action, but I am having too much fun
with a straight 270 win loaded with the 95 gr TTSX right now.

Bigfoot
03-17-2011, 12:56 AM
It was called the Xtreme bullet IIRC, they stopped making it.

Totally agree with the 270 Win in a bolt action. Load it down with 5744 and get 6.8 velocities for deer and hogs and load it full bore for elk and moose. That and the 270 WSM could be do-it-all rifles if you know your powders. But that's just me.