PDA

View Full Version : SSS muzzle brake or Vais ???

rsbhunter
03-16-2011, 12:02 AM
I am getting ready to send my barrel off to have a brake installed, and was wondering if anyone here has one of the SSS muzzle brakes? I have a Vais on my 300 RUM and love it! Is the SSS the same as far as recoil reduction and muzzle blast? This is the style i want, iv'e had JP's, Dave Gentry's quiet brake, so i know there's other ones out there, but between the two mentioned, is one as good as the other? Thanks for any help....rsbhunter

rsbhunter
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Nobody has a SSS muzzlebrake? I figured it would be used by alot of members seeing as SSS installs them? Thanks again, rsbhunter

placek59
03-16-2011, 07:36 PM
I have a sss brake, but its on a .22BR and recoil is nearly nonexistent. The only other brake I have is one I built/designed that is on a 6.5 grendel AR (not nearly as good as sss) so I can't really compare the two you asked. The SSS brake looks great without any noticable seam and reduces felt recoil to that of about a .22 hornet in my 22br. I would definitely look at getting another one if I needed one.

geargrinder
03-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Their design is about the same so I would guess their effectiveness is similar.

Have you asked SSS what their lead time is? Getting it done in a timely manner would help me decide between the two.

rsbhunter
03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
geargrinder, i talked with Lisa at SSS and she said, no problem, just send it in....I hope that means not to long of a wait....after i get the muzzlebrake put on, i am sending it off to be nitrided...waited to get all machine work done first.....rsbhunter

Switchbarrel
03-17-2011, 04:38 AM
geargrinder, i talked with Lisa at SSS and she said, no problem, just send it in....I hope that means not to long of a wait.....rsbhunter

Good Luck!!! I ordered some small parts from them (SSS) over 5 weeks ago (my build is waiting for these bolt parts). No parts, no response from the three emails I've requested a status update on, no response from the PM I sent Fred here, can't get through on the phone...

If you like your Vais brake, get another. They look the same, probably work the same, I'm sure the turnaround will be a lot quicker w/ Ron Bartlett at Vais.

-Rick

pdog06
03-17-2011, 05:42 AM
I have a 260 Brux barrel with their SSS brake on it, and the brake is very nice. Like mentioned above there is no noticeable seam and recoil was diminished greatly.

Their price is about on par with every other big name shop out there so your choices are plenty, so I would call and see what different wait times they have and then make your choice. Some only have a week or two turnaround..Some have more...

weewilly
03-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Good Luck #2, small parts ordered 7 week ago, have heard nothing. weewilly