PDA

View Full Version : EGW 20moa base extends over the barrel nut.

james86
03-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, I got my base put on and my scope mounted before I noticed that the base extends over the barrel nut and prevents a barrel nut wrench from sliding over the nut. I know a lot of guys have this base on a switch barrel rig, did you just chop off the last 1/2" of the base so that it doesn't go out over the nut?

-James.

Uncle Jack
03-16-2011, 05:50 AM
When switching barrels, most people remove the scope base. If you are using a action wrench, it is mandatory.

uj

james86
03-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Dang, I already put the base on and used blue loc-tite on the threads. I don't have an action wrench, I'm just going to be using some barrel blocks and a nut wrench. Any other ideas?

-James.

tammons
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I have an EGW 0 base and a machined recoil lug and the base extends over about half of the recoil lug.
I have a 2-7x leupold, and I dont even have to take the scope off to change barrels.

I would either take it off and send it back or cut it off.

Purple lock tight is the right locktight for fine threads I think.

pdog06
03-17-2011, 07:10 PM
If you do not plan to use those slots then just cut them off flush with the rest of the scope.

Just cause you used locktite on the screws doesnt mean you cant take it back off and do it again. Unless you used permanant locktite instead of re-enterable(or medium strength). If you did that then you made a big mistake.

Also, do yourself a favor and dont pay attention to the COLOR of the locktite. Pay attention to the STRENGTH description of the locktite, and use low to medium strength. Different manufacturers use different colors for different strengths.

james86
03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks pdog. I used Permatex MEDIUM strength Threadlocker, so I should be able to get it back off if need be?

thomae
03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
To lessen the risk of boogering up the screw slots or allen heads.
Try applying heat (Heat guns available on sale at Harbor Freight for $10.00)
or a single drop of acetone on the screw may sink in and soften the locktite.
Cheers,