PDA

View Full Version : Adding pillars to a laminated sporter-style stock

Dr. Vette
03-15-2011, 12:13 AM
I just bought the last one of these:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1250460&filter=savage+l%2fa+laminate&catid=0

A little 0000 steel wool buffing and the finish looks beautiful, especially for a field rifle. No matter what it is a far better foundation than my factory plastic stock for my 110FP.

There are no pillars installed in this stock and I would like to add some.
I was looking at two possibilities.
These:
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-434/Savage-10-fdsh-110-Steel-Pillar/Detail

or these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gunsmith-Accuracy-Pillar-Bedding-Kit-Savage-110-111-/250783571658
(pillars only - he sells them that way too; see the pillars at the bottom of his photo below the epoxy)

Any recommendations or personal experiences using either of these pillar types?
Or is there a different type that would work?

Thanks for your input

Dr. Vette
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
No experience with these at all?

Can anyone at least tell me if a factory Savage stock has pillars installed like the ones I linked from Stocky's, or if they look different?

Thanks.

Quickshot
03-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Dr. They sure look like the ones in my laminated stock on my 12 BVSS. You will probably need to be careful with bedding them in. Even though they tell us that things are drop in, we still need to tweak em. I'm not familiar with the stock you have but you can find instrutions on this forum to get the job done when you are ready to commence. Rather simple once you have the proper tools and bedding material. I never had to put pillars in my Savages as they were already there, I did however put them in an older Mod.700 Rem. with no problems. Go for it, Good luck. Quick

KRP
03-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Bushings from the hardware store only cost ~$1. Some factory stocks do have pillars installed.

Dr. Vette
03-16-2011, 11:09 PM
I thought about bushings, but if the ones from Stockys are a "drop in" then that's just so easy, especially with the notch for the sear.

jpdown
03-17-2011, 12:09 AM
I have used those listed on EBay. They are excellent and the rear pillar is notched for the sear. I put two rounds of tape around the action screws to center in pillar. Use release agent on action. Attach pillars to action. Open up stock holes to accommodate pillars. Tape barrel and under tang to center and float when placed in stock. I bed the pillars first pass and then come back and bed complete action and recoil lug.

Dr. Vette
03-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks jp.

What type of drill bit did you use to open up the stock holes?
I'm not real keen on splitting the stock.

jpdown
03-18-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm getting ready to install a pair into a walnut stock I'm working on for a Savage SA LW build. The pair I have measure .512" in diameter. I use a 9/16" (.562") wood bit. I do not drill all the way through the stock as pictured above. I only go deep enough so that the pillars and tang are properly floated in the stock. I put bedding material on the sides of the hole and pillars (attached to action) and position in the stock making sure the action is level and not twisted side to side in the stock. You can clean up the bedding material that is pushed out the botton of the holes in the stock, or gets on the heads of the action screws with a Q-tip and acetone. I just tape action in place while the bedding cures. I don't want to introduce any stress point by using clamps or tightening action in the stock at this point. And don't forget to put release agent on anyting that might come in contact with the bedding agent if you want to remove it after the bedding cures.

Dr. Vette
03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks.

I ordered a different stock for my other long action rifle and I'm going to take a look at how the factory pillars are installed.
From there I will see if I want to go with the factory style as per Stockys or the aftermarket larger ones.