PDA

View Full Version : Weight sorting cases... opinions solicited

Pages : 1 [2]

06-04-2011, 12:08 AM
"If you have a beam scale graduated in 0.1gn increments you can get a weight to 0.01gn with that scale." Maybe I'm not getting something, but how do you get a beam scale that reads to 1/10th of a grain to read to 1/100th of a grain? Could you please explain."

You estimate. Which is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. The needle is some where between say 56.1 and 56.2 gr. You see it is over half way between so you estimate that it is 56.17gr or 56.18gr. You don't get a precise measurement to the last digit.

memilanuk
06-04-2011, 02:44 AM
How much have y'all actually *shot* these loads @ 1k... or are we just arguing theoretically here?

helotaxi
06-04-2011, 04:08 AM
Isn't that exactly what I said? The last digit in every measurement is an estimate. It isn't precise though it is an estimate.

We're on the same page then. When I saw measure to the 0.001 to get accurate at 0.01 I thought you were talking graduated every 0.001 (which would allow you to estimate to the 0.0001 and be on at 0.001).

06-04-2011, 08:25 AM
"How much have y'all actually *shot* these loads @ 1k... or are we just arguing theoretically here?"

My personal range only goes to 878yds, and I have never found a bench in the places I do my shooting, so I guess it would be theoretically on my part.

memilanuk
06-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I should have phrased that as 'at distance'... and unlike some, I don't really care if you shoot from a rest on a bench or a 'pod on the ground. Just seemed like the argument was heading down the path of what 'should' matter vs. what people actually observe on target with their own two eyes...

06-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I am not a good enough shot to matter either way, but I do prefer actual results over theory any time!

JCalhoun
06-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Monte;

7 ring shooters like me are easily pleased. ;) ;D

Makes for much easier handloading.

memilanuk
06-06-2011, 10:43 PM
7 ring shooters like me are easily pleased. ;) ;D

Trust me... I spend plenty of time out in the tulies. ::)

Some ranges, some days, it just doesn't matter what you do. I've seen people (including myself) who definitely did *not* go to those extremes just hammer the X-ring on any given day. I've also seen people (including myself) who go to the ends of the earth in terms of brass prep and weighing charges (my 'good' scale makes an Acculab/Denver Instruments VIC/MX-123 look like a cheap toy) and can't find the middle of the paper for love nor money on a particular day or range

More time on the firing line in the wind will probably do more to help a person's scores than weighing to 0.02gn or various other tricks... but on those days when the clouds part and the angels sing and that little ray of sunshine beams down on your firing point... its nice to be ready to take advantage... ;)