PDA

View Full Version : Sporter vs Varmint vs Bull

scope eye
03-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi all my rigs are sporter barrels, and after the 5th shot and the barell starts to heat up the POI really starts to drift, I can compensate with good ole Kentucky windage but that's not ideal, how many shots on average will a varmint profile go before starting to drift, and will a bull profile be that much better than a varmint.
Dean

learjet
03-14-2011, 09:22 AM
probably depends mostly on how hot the round/loads are. ive got all 3, and properly bedded and floated i dont see much drift as any of my barrels heat up. one thing for sure...the heavy barrels heat up a bit slower, but take way longer to cool when its warm out

helotaxi
03-14-2011, 09:58 AM
All depends on the barrel length and what it's chambered for. I can sit at the bench for several hundred round without much thinking about it with a .223 in varmint profile. Doubt I'll be able to do the same with .243 though I do expect it to go at least 50.

Rocca
03-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Not to be picky but just an FYI.
Varmint and bull barrels are generaly the same thing.
Light weight, medium, and varmint/ bull. I'm not sure if "sporter" is light weight or medium.

Several things influence bullet drift due to heated barrel.
Barrel thickness (obviously) - thicker takes longer to heat up since theres more material that has to be heated and is more rigged to negate the wave effect
Length of barrel- shorter is less effected by heat and wave effect.
Fluting - disapates heat better to help cool down quicker
"Hotter" loads heat the barrel up faster. Not to mention wear the barrek out faster.

scope eye
03-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi I though a varmint profile on a savage started at 1 inch and tapered down to .750, a bull was 1 inch straight across the whole length small shank anyways.
Dean

Rocca
03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi I though a varmint profile on a savage started at 1 inch and tapered down to .750, a bull was 1 inch straight across the whole length small shank anyways.
Dean

Hmm, I dont know about that. Maybe Savage does differentiate between varmint and bull. I would call those both varmint/ bull barrels with slightly different contours. I'm curious now to know if savage does callone varmint and one bull.

Despite what all my friends and family think, I really dont know EVERYTHING.....close though. ;)

Blue Avenger
03-14-2011, 03:59 PM
bull has no coutour

Tracer
03-14-2011, 06:43 PM
I know have 4 of those Savage bull barrel rifles in a model 12, there is no contour in the barrels!

Shots that start to wonder away from the original or tight group can have several things that cause this, a barrel starting to warm up, a human error, possible stock touching the barrel ever so slightly. Also the consistency of the rounds fired for starters.

helotaxi
03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Dean

Hmm, I dont know about that. Maybe Savage does differentiate between varmint and bull. I would call those both varmint/ bull barrels with slightly different contours. I'm curious now to know if savage does callone varmint and one bull.

I think everyone but you differentiates.

mytwo60
03-15-2011, 01:56 AM
varmint = .820 @ the muzzle
Bull = 1" @ the muzzle

Sporter = who cares ;D

dwm
03-15-2011, 09:06 AM
There may be a more subtle difference.

With a straight taper, bull barrel, it may be possible to set the chamber back by just continuing the threads down the barrel? (or does the diameter step down right after the threads?)

With a varmint taper barrel there is enough taper that it is not possible to set the barrel back. (obvious since the barrel nut slides off the barrel once you get past the threads)

The shank or threaded part of the barrel may be the same on both barrels and even the bull barrel can not be set back because the outer diameter of the bull barrel is not quite enough to thread?

Would someone please comment on this, it would be good to know ...

helotaxi
03-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Either could be set back some depending on how much was threaded when the barrel was made and how thick the recoil lug is. If the barrel was originally set up for a 0.500" recoil lug, you could set it back and go with a thinner lug to keep enough threads for the nut. The other option with a bull barrel is to go with a thicker profile than 1" and put a shoulder on it like a Remington barrel.

k80skeet
03-15-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't believe Savage make a true bull barrel all their barrels have some taper even the BR and LRPV taper down to 1" at the muzzle.

helotaxi
03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't believe Savage make a true bull barrel all their barrels have some taper even the BR and LRPV taper down to 1" at the muzzle.

Those barrels are stepped down right in front of the nut, aren't they? From the step forward they are a cylinder.

jonbearman
03-17-2011, 03:42 PM
The shilen bull tapers from 1 1/16 down to 1" at the muzzle.

BattOpGrunt
03-17-2011, 11:40 PM
varmint = .820 @ the muzzle
Bull = 1" @ the muzzle

Sporter = who cares ;D

we care ;D

Savage Sporter* .585
Savage Heavy Sporter .635
Savage Varmint .800
Savage Bull Barrel (#8) 1.00
Savage Magnum .630