PDA

View Full Version : CBI 6mm BR barrel first range trip report

yorketransport
03-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I got a chance to take the new Criterion 6BR barrel out today. Here's the detalis on the setup:
-26" 1-8 twist Criterion barrel
-Model 10 (10FP take off) action
-Northlander Heavy duty recoil lug
-HS Precision single shot stock (borrowed from an LRPV)
-Weaver T-36 scope

I still need to bed the action to this stock. I had to remove a good chunk of the aluminum bedding block so that the recoil lug would work. The heavy duty recoil lugs are taller than the factory one, so I had to take a Dremel to the stock to make the lug fit. I should have bed the action before going out, but I just didn't have time and didn't want to wait.

The first loads I tested were the 105gr A-Max and a 29.5gr of Varget in new Lapua cases and CCI 450 primers while playing with the seating depth. The first thing I noticed during break in was that the barrel wasn't getting any copper fouling. I fired one shot then cleaned for 5 shots, then 5 shots and cleaned for 15 more. I never actually got any copper on the patches I was running through. The bore felt perfectly smooth with no rough spots along the entire stroke of the cleaning rod. The down side is that the 105 A-Maxes didn't shoot well. The best I could get for 5 shots was about .75" at 100yds. To be fair, the load testing was done during the initial break in. I may come back to the A-Maxes later.

The next load was the 68gr Berger FB over Varget charges ranging from 33.0gr to 34.2gr in new Lapua brass and CCI 450 primers. These were shooting much better than the 105s. The worst groups were around .75" and the best load (34.2gr Varget with the bullet just touching the lands) measured .44" for 5 shots. This is a little more what I'm hoping for. I'll take it out again in a week or two and give the load another run while playing with seating depth.

I have high hopes for this barrel, but I need to bed the action before I go out again. I'm certain that this will help things a little. Plus, I just wasn't shooting that well today. Maybe I shouldn't shoot the 338/375 Ruger Striker while trying to shoot groups with the rifle. :o Over all though, the barrel shows promise. I'll post another update when I get a chance to take it out again.

Andrew

tammons
03-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Try 105 gr Scenars over 29 gr of H4895, CCI BR primers, Lapua brass VLD chamfer, with about .003 tension, jammed about .015.

I set up that load without working it at all, just a run up to make sure it was safe and shot a 4 shot .75" group at 300 yards with an unbedded choat ultimate varminter stock with the 1st 4 shots.

Off the shelf Shilen barel from midway, SS factory action, SSS trigger, machined recoil lug, Farrel base, Burris extreme rings, Nightforce 12-42X scope.

That said IMO the choate really does not need to be bedded so....

6mmBr is a great round.

Bedding should help a lot.

bootsmcguire
03-14-2011, 01:38 AM
I just ordered a 6BR in a CBI. I got mine in 28in Varmint taper with an 8 twist. I am glad to hear that yours is showing promise, I am planning on CCI 450, bout some Lapua brass, and gonna try some 100gr Seirras, 62gr Varmint Grenades, and some 58gr V-Maxs and if none of that shows promise I will try some 75 V-Maxs and some 105 A-Maxs. Got plenty of Varget to try and a few others to try. Keep us up to speed on what you find that works.

Dennis
03-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Try 105 gr Scenars over 29 gr of H4895, CCI BR primers, Lapua brass VLD chamfer, with about .003 tension, jammed about .015.

I was given almost this exact load by a Lapua Team shooter! Interesting