PDA

View Full Version : Range Report -Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine 223 Remg

gge515
10-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Guys. I'm a newbee to this forum. I bought a new Model 10 Precision Carbine in 223 Remg about three months ago. I am really happy with the way it's shooting and wanted to share it with anyone who might be interested.

I hadn't done any reloading in years and didn't have any powder on hand. The only powder I could fine locally that was OK for the 223 Remg was H335. I had decided to use Nosler 55 gr. Balistic Tip, W-W brass and Remg 6 1/2 Primers (I didn't know at the time but Remg 6 1/2 are not recommended for the 223). The 6 1/2 were the only primers I could find.

I put a new Bushnell Elite 4200 4x16 on the rifle.

I was getting OK groups at 100 yds, 3/4", 7/8", 1", etc, but nothing great in a heavy barreled rifle and I was a little disappointed. I lucked into a can of Varget at a local store the other day and decided to try it. At the same time located some CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum Primers. I also picked up some of those. I started out with 22 grs of Varget and worked up to max so far of 25.5 grs. WOW. Right away it was obvious this rifle liked the Varget. I hope the attached groups came through. The one with the 25.5 grs was also supposed to be a four shot group but after seeing the first three I couldn't shoot the fourth. That's the best group I have ever shot. I think it's under a 1/4 inch. Not bad for a out of the box rifle and my 68 years old eyes. I also love the Accutrigger. It breaks clean with no creep.

Another interesting thing to note I had tried to use once fired brass out of this rifle and only neck size with a Lee Collet sizer. On the 3 shot group I had full length sized new brass so go figure. Another interesting thing about this Savage is it seems to shoot better out of a dirty barrel and also a hot barrel. There is an article in this month's Rifleman that seems to support the accuracy benefits of shooting through a dirty barrel.
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae232/gge515/ok1017.jpg

gafiredawg
10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for sharing !

I have a digital camo compact in .223 on order. Can't wait ! :)

jimbo88mm
10-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the excellent report!

I am glad to hear that the rifle likes varget. I have a stevens 200 in 243 that loves varget. I also have a M1 Garand on order and have read that varget works well with those. If I pick one of these up then I will probably just stick with varget (assuming I can find it in stock!).

In regards to barrel temp, when I shoot at the range I try to keep the barrel at roughly the same temp for each shot (luke warm). How hot was hot for you? Too hot to keep your hand on it for more then a few seconds?

On the stevens I have noticed that after a good cleaning it usually takes 20 round or so for the groups to tighten back up. Then its good for another 100 before the groups open up again at which point I'll clean the barrel with some wipeout.

gge515
10-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Jimbo I did not mean too hot to hold. I have been going to the range and shooting ten rounds or so while working up to this load. I guess what I meant to say is it will shoot as good or better at end of session as it will out of a cold barrel. This last group was from uncleaned barrel that had about 30 rounds through it over a few days. I haven't done any varment hunting yet with this rifle where the barrel might get heated up more than at the range. Good luck with your Garand.

82boy
10-22-2009, 06:08 AM
welcome to the site.
Most Savage factoy barrels shoot better dirty. I just did an article on this rifle, it should be up very soon.

bluealtered
10-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Welcome aboard, i have the same rifle in 308 and it does the same as yours. You might try benchmark for your under 60gr loads, my .223's like it a little better than varget. The 10pc is a very good platform for putting a smile on your face. blue

z71rat
10-25-2009, 12:42 PM
This is all extremely good news to hear!! I am actually letting go of the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and I am in pursuit of a .308 Precision Carbine. Talk about excited!! I can't hardly wait till I get mine put together and see what she will do... Thanks for the report and the pics. Enjoy your shooter!!

DK

82boy
10-26-2009, 11:11 AM
The review I just did is up in the classified section, as of today.
http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine