PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph?

Pages : [1] 2

BoilerUP
03-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Judging by the reviews on Midway, just about all of them are pieces of junk... ;D

Sooooooooooooo...give me recommendations on a chronograph that provides good value & quality results.

laportecharlie
03-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Oehler 35P if you want to spend the bucks. Othewise, the ProChrono Digital will get the job done for most. I've had both and the ProChrono is what I am using now. I sold the Oehler on E-Bay when people were willing to pay three times what they are worth.
Charlie

dcloco
03-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I have a PACT...could not be happier. Get the infared version.

GaCop
03-13-2011, 08:22 AM
So far, I've had good results from my Beta Chrony. It replaced my 14 year old PACT that went belly up.

Samdweezel05
03-13-2011, 08:34 AM
The problem most have is with poor lighting conditions. Most of them need to be used in direct sun light. That was the issue with the Prochrono I had. Days with heavy clouds would lead to 5,000 fps readings with a .22lr. All I wanted one for was to see how consistent my reloading practices were as I had no interest in knowing how fast they were shooting. Once I saw what I needed to see I sold it and put the money towards more useful reloading and shooting supplies.

chap
03-13-2011, 10:41 AM
CED2 is the one I chose and I love it.

xr650rRider
03-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I've got a Pact Model 1 XP that I've had for 10 years. If sun was directly overhead it would read about 50% of the time. Most times, just err after err after err. Sent it back 3 times and finally after the 3rd time they replaced the head unit and very seldom get an err but most times it just won't read at all. We have a covered bench that faces due West. Can't use it until after about 1pm and it quits working after 4 pm due to the angle of the sun in Texas this time of year. I built a coffin to put it in and bought the infra-red sky screens and thought that would fix the problem. Won't detect anything over about 1700 fps. Shoot a .45 pistol across it and it works fine but won't detect a .308 bullet at 2900 fps. Used night mode on camera and could not detect any infra-red light coming from sensors, so I called Pact, to see what wavelength leds they used. Guy didn't have a clue but said you should be able to see a red glow from the 1 LED in the sensor. In total darkness there was a red glow so I assume its working as they designed it just won't work outside unless it's totally dark. I assume any external infra-red will overpower the 1 LED and make it worthless. I put the regular sensors back on it and ordered some LED lighting to put over diffusers. Still won't read anything over about 1700 fps. I've used it shop with incandescent lighting with archery equipment and it works most times but incandescents put off too much heat in coffin. 40 watt bulbs would melt diffusers.
I do have plans for it though. When the order of binary explosive mix shows up, about 3 lbs. of it will go inside the coffin.

showgun
03-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I have an RCBS that works fine, I haven't compared it to other graphs so I'm assuming its accurate.... It does have a little tag on the inside that says "made in china" though...

tammons
03-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a ProChrono and it is fairly accurate.

If you want a truly professional chrono you will have to spend big bucks.

SMK Shoe
03-13-2011, 01:02 PM
I have a Shooting Chrony F1 Master Chronograph. Been using it for a couple years with no real issues. Sometimes won't get a reading if I'm shooting multiple targets and don't line up across the sensor's. You will be suprised how often you use the chrony once you own one. I pull mine out at the range and set it up and usually have a couple of my shooting buddies running loads across it. at 110$ it's just a good piece of equipment to have. You can spend more but why.

viper9696
03-13-2011, 02:18 PM
I have great results with my ProChrono Digital.used to have a Shooting Chrony and it sucked error error error error error

wapaloose
03-13-2011, 02:22 PM
I still use my Oehler 33 that i bought new in 1985, I have used some cheap ones and always go back to 33.

sha-ul
03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Speaking of chronographs, what are you guys using for stands?

viper9696
03-13-2011, 02:30 PM

$15 tripod from walmart ;D ;D

sha-ul
03-13-2011, 02:33 PM

I have been using a camera tripod also from wally world, but it seemed a bit too wobbly/flimsy for my taste. that is why I was asking.

viper9696
03-13-2011, 02:40 PM

I have been using a camera tripod also from wally world, but it seemed a bit too wobbly/flimsy for my taste. that is why I was asking.

tie a brick to the cross supports of the tripod with enough string so the brick is at 60degs (bottom of brick on the ground other end hanging from string) it REALLY helps

snowgetter1
03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I have a Shooting Chrony model F-1. My dad used it for years and gave it to me. It works everytime and the long remote cord makes it easy to see the readout. It works on cloudy day with no shades or sunny days with the shades on. I have never seen any numbers from it that I thought were wrong.

us920669
03-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Mine is called a ProChrono Jr, which sounds suspicious. Something has been rattling around inside it for at least 15 years but it's been great. Like most of my stuff, it's from the days when the space shuttle was a big deal. My stand is regular 3 leg aluminum, probably for camera or spotting scope, marked Rokinon T5, absolutely no complaints. I shoot under trees, maybe diffused sunlight is perfect since I never even tried their little toy diffusers. I've had errors but very seldom, I think when I miss one array, since they are pretty narrow. I bought one of the first chronographs on the market but I shot it - put the target too close, forgot and held on the previous hole. That one had separate sensors, so I got two pipes, drilled and tapped them 6 feet apart, I forget the brand. My trusty PC Jr was made by Competition Electronics Inc, no country of origin so maybe made in USA. I think buying these things involves a lot of luck - you either get a good one or you don't.

CRNA
03-18-2011, 09:26 PM
I have the ProChrono digital. Seems to work just fine for me. After about 100 rounds I am yet to get an ERR reading.

nsaqam
03-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I've used a Chrony Beta, an Oehler 35, and the ProChrono Digital. Both separately and on two occasions all three at the same time.

The Oehler wasn't mine but it worked great as you would expect from a unit of its price.

I didn't like the user interface of the Chrony at all and I got too many error messages but when it recorded a velocity it was accurate.

The best value and the easiest to use is the ProChrono. Easy setup, very few errors, and accurate. I recently got the USB connectivity kit for it and I really like the data storage and manipulation features you get with it as well as getting all the functions of a remote control. I feel a bit goofy pulling out a laptop at the range but I get over it.

When I tested all three together I was impressed with how closely the reading coincided.