PDA

View Full Version : Switching Barrels on an Accustock Action

Cycler
03-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I just purchased a left handed Model 16 Accustock in .243 Win and would like to also be able to use a 7 mm-08 barrel I already own on it so I'm going to have to be able to switch barrels. Therefore, I have a few questions:

1.This rifle has the new smooth barrel nut so to loosen it I'll need the specific SSS nut wrench made for them. Has anyone had any experience with this wrench and dealing with these smooth nuts? Mine doesn't have the hole some of them do so the wrench will have to rely on friction.

2. I was told the smooth nut can be removed with a pipe wrench, which certainly damages them, and then replaced with the older style grooved nut which then uses the older style nut wrench. Comments? Does the older nut fit in the Accustock?

3. Any other specific differences I should know about?

Thanks.

trappst
03-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I've not seen one of the smooth nut rifles, but I was under the impression that there was a hole that the spanner wrench works with. If you haven't taken the stock off, it's probably located on the bottom so as to not be seen.

geargrinder
03-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Some have the hole in the bottom, some are smooth all the way around. All of them have basically the same profile.

My vote is the pipe wrench and a grooved nut replacement.

snowgetter1
03-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Pipe wrench it and replace it with a standard small shank nut. I have 2 that had smooth nuts. Just seems to be easier to use the grooved nuts.

Cycler
03-12-2011, 09:39 AM
I've not seen one of the smooth nut rifles, but I was under the impression that there was a hole that the spanner wrench works with. If you haven't taken the stock off, it's probably located on the bottom so as to not be seen.
I've had the stock off for that particular reason and there is no hole.

trappst
03-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I've had the stock off for that particular reason and there is no hole.

That kinda sucks! Would a strap wrench provide enough grip to break the nut loose?

yorketransport
03-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Take a pipe wrench to it and screw on a new nut. Also, on my Accustock 116, the reoil lug doesn't have a locating stud that indexes on the reciever. It's just sandwiched in there like a Remington nut. You'll need to line it up when you screw on a new barrel and find a way to hold it in place. Also, the recoil lug cutout in the stock is too shallow to accept a standard recoil lug. You would either need to modify the stock or the recoil lug to get them to work.

Andrew

Cycler
03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Take a pipe wrench to it and screw on a new nut. Also, on my Accustock 116, the reoil lug doesn't have a locating stud that indexes on the reciever. It's just sandwiched in there like a Remington nut. You'll need to line it up when you screw on a new barrel and find a way to hold it in place. Also, the recoil lug cutout in the stock is too shallow to accept a standard recoil lug. You would either need to modify the stock or the recoil lug to get them to work.

Andrew

Interesting. Can't I just use the recoil lug that came with the rifle? I realize it's a bit different than the ones on the older actions but is there any reason it won't work with the older style barrel nut?

yorketransport
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
You can use the recoil lug that's on there now, but it doesn't have a stud to help properly locate it in relation to the action. Without the stud, the recoil lug may not be centered at the 6 o'clock position on the action like it should be. It can rotate slightly when you tighten the nut, causing it to sit a bit to one side. It's not a big deal, just something to consider.

Andrew