PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 LRPV for left hander?

Joe_C
03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi, new guy here looking for some help.

I am interested in picking up an LRPV in 223 1/7 twist.
If i was still able to shoot right handed, i wouldn't have any questions, but because of an on-going eye problem , i have had to shoot left-handed for the last few years.

I was wondering how difficult, if at all, it is to load this rifle (sitting at a bench rest) with just that small opening on the opposite side of the rifle.

I know it is not a problem with a normal action , as the opening in the action is quite large .

Please note , that i have not had one of these rifles in my hands as yet , haven't found one at any of the shops i have been in , so i thought someone here might be able to help me out .
thanks
Joe

pdog06
03-12-2011, 12:57 AM
just get one with a right side eject. Only issue is it will eject the spent shell toward your face. Wont be an issue if shooting from a bench though as you can just sit up when you eject it..

Joe_C
03-12-2011, 09:23 AM
pdog06

I was looking for a 1/7" twist 223 rifle ,and the only options seem to be the

12 LRPV first choice
12 VLP DBM might consider it
12 F/TR not really interested in this one with the 30" bbl.

With these single shot models, can you just drop a round into the action and close the bolt, or do you have to kind of feed the round into the chamber?

thanks

Joe

k80skeet
03-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I do believe they make these in left hand bolts as well as right hand. Call Savage and check @ 1-413-568-7001

yorketransport
03-12-2011, 02:11 PM
p
With these single shot models, can you just drop a round into the action and close the bolt, or do you have to kind of feed the round into the chamber?

thanks

Joe

Yes, you can just toss a round into the action and it will chamber just fine.

Andrew

2recon
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
I lost most of the sight in my right eye years ago, and like you ,had to learn to do some things left handed.I have 2 LRPV's, both right bolt left port, and find it convenient to work the bolt with my right hand and catch ( or pick )the shell with my left hand. You didn't have to move from behind the rifle. I also have a SSS built bench rifle using a right bolt ,right port repeater action . With this configuration , you have to come off the rifle in order to work the bolt with one hand and catch the brass with the other.I wish I had thought this one thought a little better. Hope this helps..by the way..These LRPV's are the best shooting factory rifle that I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.

helotaxi
03-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I also have a SSS built bench rifle using a right bolt ,right port repeater action . With this configuration , you have to come off the rifle in order to work the bolt with one hand and catch the brass with the other.

Why? I have 3 Savages set up this way and an AR that I largely use single shot as well. Never have to come out from behind the rifle. My left hand never leaves the stock. I either fire 4-5 rounds (empty the magazine) and then pick up my brass or catch it on the bounce off the bench with my right hand.

Joe_C
03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I was kind of concerned about being able to load through the smaller port on this action since it is kind of "on the blind side " of the rifle for someone shooting it left-handed.

On of the advantages ( the only one, after 45 + years of shootng right-handed) i have found when shooting any of my right handed rifles left handed, (from the bench) is that it is very easy to load single shot into the chamber because you can see what you are doing a little better.

thanks again

Joe

pdog06
03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
As long as you dont get one of the first year model LRPV's you'll be fine. They had a smaller port than the current ones, but Savage quickly addressed that issue and you hardly ever see the older ones around. I have one of the older ones that is a 22-250, and also a couple of newer ones in 6br and 260.

If I could ever get my darn photobucket account to come up Id post a picture of each for you. Maybe later...