PDA

View Full Version : New in the Neighborhood & an S200 Action Question

Iron Mike Golf
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Everybody,

I picked up my first Savage/Stevens centerfire last weekend. It's an S200 in .308. Win. This will be my first project gun.

I adjusted the trigger pull down to 3 lb 2 oz. While doing this, I noticed the action will not cock with the muzzle pointed up. I do not know if it was this way before adjustment. All I did was back out the trigger pull adjustment screw.

It does not need much incline at all to fail to cock. I can easily see working the action while aiming upslope and having this happen. I am going to take her apart and increase the trigger pull and check this again.

Has anybody seen this kind of thing?

Thanks,
Jeff

fatdaddy
10-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey Jeff
I believe your trouble is because of your trigger adjustment. A Stevens
trigger pull is made lighter by the use of a thinner piece of music wire. Run the screw back in as close to the original setting as you can and your gun should function as it did. A SSS or rifle basix trigger is well worth the price. I would suggest testing any trigger work with slam test and such. It sounds like yours is questionable now . Good luck, Bill

Iron Mike Golf
10-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks Bill!

That was indeed the problem. I ran the pull back up to 4.5 lbs and things work as they should now. I never measured the facturoy pull setting. I broke down and bought an RCBS spring scale yesterday. My bathroom scale is not precise enough for the bucket test.

Definitely getting a Rifle Basix. Hmmm, my birthday is coming up. My wife got me a Lyman T-Max Expert Deluxe kit for an early present. But I have 2 kids.... ;)

Thanks again for the quick help!

Jeff

dolomite_supafly
10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Get a SSS trigger. Much better trigger in my opinion. The Rifle Basix is just a rework of a factory design where the SSS is a complete redesign using leverage to your advantage. My SSS trigger has been 100% reliable and is relatively easy to install and adjust. The instructions are very clear and concise.

Just my thoughts
Dolomite

Iron Mike Golf
10-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks Dolomite.

I looked at the SAV-1. I did not know any of the essential differences between that, Rifle Basix, and Timney triggers. I was leaning towards Rifle Basix as that was what the sales guy recommended. I want one of the SSS bolt handles anyways, so I'll probably get the trigger there too.

Jeff

BrentWin
10-22-2009, 08:26 AM
But I have 2 kids....

I say its time for those two kids to get out there and make a living. They eat your food, live in your house. Would it kill them to get a job and bring in a little money so that you can have a few "extras" in life.

I got my two oldest boys a job on a construction crew

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/little_kids_working.jpg

And soon, little Timmy will have earned enough money to get me that Sin Arms barrel in 250 AI.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/shoeshine.jpg

Iron Mike Golf
10-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Hah! There both grown, out on their own and doing fine. My daughter's been married for a year and my son is a 2nd year apprentice operating engineer. The nest is kinda empty and my wife wants us to get a puppy.

All the kids need is my want list. They'va already asked for it. The problem is, I keep getting stuff because I want it now. Ha ha. ;)