PDA

View Full Version : wheeeler minimum and maximum gauges

calib
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
i ordered a set of gauges thinking it was just a go gauge and i could do the same as my last build and just use the go gauge with tape. the gauge came, but with a nother one with it. i looked and one says minimum and one says maximum. how do these work exactly? can i use one of these the same way as i did the other build?

earl39
03-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Calib, the minimum is your go gage and the maximum is either a field gage or a no-go gage. either way don't excede the maximum.

Gary

calib
03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
earl,
just so i am clear, i can take the minimum gauge and chamber it then run the barrel down tell it turns no more, then pull the gauge out put a piece of tape on the bolt face re chamber the minimum gause and should feel some tention, open put one more piece of tape on then chamber again and shouldnt be able to close bolt correct. that is what i did on my 243 ai, but i had a ptg gauge.

earl39
03-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Yes that is the way it should work. Also your maximum gage should not chamber if barrel is set to minimum.

Gary

northlander
03-10-2011, 12:10 AM
If your chamber is set up correctly you should be able to cycle your bolt on the Go Gage (opening and closing with no binding). The Go Gage plus a single thickness of Scotch Brand gift wrap tape (.002") should not close without noticable effort if at all (the 3M Scotch Tape is a soft tape, it will squash out of the way with sufficent pressure).

The No Go Gage is always a safe way to verify your chamber headspace clearance. Done correctly the Go Gage and then the Go Gage with a single layer of Scotch Tape works very well. I prefer to measure the overall length of the Go Gage and record that dimension. I will measure it a second time after applying a single thickness of the Clear Scotch Tape and trimming off any excess. I can then verify the .002 of additional length. If you do not measure you are assuming what you have for a dimension and working blind. When you do apply the tape trim any tape that would roll over the edge of the head of the Go Gage.

Jim Briggs
NSS

calib
03-10-2011, 12:59 PM
that sounds a bit like what i did on the 243 ackley with the tape. made sure there isnt any rolled edges. thanks a lot jim for the clearification.

calib
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
ok well i got my barrel yesterday put it on the action gauged it marked top dead center, took it off and sent it to sinman to get a break thrown on. cant wait to get it back and get this gun together.