PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Wisdom on Bolt differences NEEDED.....................

Crankfire Systems
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I just exchanged L/A bolt heads with another member here. It appears that his is the earlier style that used a locator/notch in the bolt head, the one I sent is the later style. Just had a PM from him that his firing pin won't fit now, and remembered some discussions here about two different diameters, etc.

What all parts do we need to exchange, and will all of them fit into either type bolt body? Or do we need to exchange bolt bodies as well?

TIA for any and all input.

Thank You,
Emory Jones

us920669
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
My gun was 1989 and I had the bump inside the bolt, so you couldn't put the head in backwards. They phased them out around then and no new bolt head will go in. Somewhere else on the internet someone said you could file it out. Well, I filed and filed and finally I drove - to a machine shop. The firing pin diameter was reduced a little later - don't know why - and new bolt heads require the smaller pin. I bought the whole FP assy, to make sure I hadn't missed something else. You also have to get a new firing pin retaining pin, the small black pin going in sideways. If you are to the point that you need a new bolt head you might also need the cocking sleeve and button - possibly not the correct names - small parts inside the bolt at the back. Check them visually for wear. Once all that is out of the way the old bolt should be fine.

Just reread your post and realized it was the other guy asking. You might want to just exchange bolts. They clipped me for $40 to grind out the lump inside the bolt - probably my fault for driving up in my Acura. It was still a little cheaper than a new bolt, but not by much.

tammons
03-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I have one of the old style slot back screw bolts and the main firing pin diameter is a lot smaller. There are some other differences too.
Not sure if this one had the bump or not.

ellobo
03-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I had a bolt with the bump on the inside. Fred At SSS said to just grind it out with a dremel. I did and no problems. Be gentle with it though, dont get too aggresive with the dremel.

El Lobo

GaCop
03-10-2011, 06:45 AM
+1 what ellobo said. I ground mine out with a sanding drum in my Dremel and also had to change to the newer small firing pin and small hole bolt head retaining pin, had everything done in less than 30 minutes. Luckily, Lisa at Sharp Shooter Supply set me straight on what I needed to do converting mine from a .473" bolt head to .378 with the extended baffle.

Crankfire Systems
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks to all that replied!! I thought there were three things that had to change internally, but couldn't remember for sure. We will have to exchange those parts as well.

Thank You,
Emory Jones

Netz
03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
To add the new Bolt Head to the Old Bolt body, I just had a Machine shop cut a new slot, then run a #25 drill down the Firing pin hole.
Took about 30 minutes. I wanted to keep my action as close to factory as possible, thats why I did not grind out the hump, if your trade partner want's to go that route then all thats left is drilling out the hole, he will need help with the depth as he does not have his original to compare it to.
The spec's are here somewhere on this board.
Curt
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92/Netz_/100_52002.jpg