PDA

View Full Version : NF scope

druid w/stick
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Okay, here's what I'm putting together; have 110/ accu-trigger /.535 bolt face action --- have 26" SS fluted/9.25 twist/ model 112 barrel --- have choate
long action tactical (hate term) custom package stock.
Want and have money for Night Force NXS 5.5-22x50(56?) / H.S. / zero stop / NP-R1 illuminated reticle. Also NF Uni mount 20 moa-onepiece quick attach rail system. This is over 2 grand.
For hunting, target, and whatever comes up. Have three grandsons that will probably make use of it latter on. Know quality is there.
So pay once, cry once?
Thoughts?
Greg

druid w/stick
03-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Missed putting in caliber . 7mm rem mag for now
Greg

Rick_W
03-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Greg,
What kind of hunting? I'd be concerned with 5.5 power where I hunt here in the South.

helotaxi
03-09-2011, 01:35 AM
If you're like 99% of the people out there, most of the features on that Nightforce are going to go to waste. Optical quality is never wasted on the other hand. I'd be shopping with that money for a Swarovski. Or I'd just buy a high end Bushnell and spend the rest of the money on another rifle or ammo or a muzzle brake.

druid w/stick
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Rick, I'm hoping to get to go out west for antelope hunting. Plus I have places on my farm for 1000 + shooting. You're right about matching scope power for where you're at though. A lot times a 3 or 4 fixed power would get the job done.
Helotaxi, that's what I'm wondering about. I've got a VXI-2X7 and a couple of muller 4.5x14 that I would'nt be worried about taking anywhere. Also have
Zeiss conquest rapid Z 4.5x14x50 that I really like. Kinda like buying a new truck. Do really need heated seats, fancy carpet, and that great stereo system or just stay with what gets you down the road?
It is alot of cash!
Greg

helotaxi
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Unlike the zero-stops, crazy reticules and all the other stuff packed on a Nightforce, I use my heated seats and upgraded stereo all the time...still not much of a use for the carpet. ;D

EricCartmann
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
NightForce Sucks. It will make you soft and you will get spoiled. Next thing you know, you will become a person that demands entitlements, will want free health care, and you will opt for luxury package instead of the sports package when you buy your next BMW.

http://images54.fotki.com/v1615/photos/1/932051/7978266/savagefeb2011-vi.jpg

Senderofan
03-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Guess I'd ask why the "Uni-Mount?" Not sure what benefit...even if you remove the scope to travel..not sure of the benefit versus cost ratio. As far as the 5.5-22X NXS....it's a very nice scope...I've got one that's the 56mm front objective. This scope seems to serve many big boomers for long range shooting...can't fault your decision. The zero stop...nice feature...but you can adjust the caps to nearly accomplish the same thing....and save some $$$....unless you're shooting to save your life in low light conditions...just asking?

My way of thinking...you can save some bucks on the mount and skip the zero stop......invest in some ammo or reloading supplies. That way you get to do more shooting.

Wayne

EricCartmann
03-09-2011, 11:53 PM
I have the Zero-Stop with Fast Turrets.

Zero stop is a nice feature to have but I will say not really needed. Also it only zero-stops for elevation, not windage. Another option for zero stop and way to save a lot of money is to use foam tape cut down so the turrets touches the foam when scope is zero'd I have done this before and it works quite well.

The fast Turrets though are nice, very positive clicks and it's 20 MOA per rotation instead of the usual 15. Probably not worth the price of admission, but once you have them, you don't want to get rid of them.

showgun
03-10-2011, 09:55 AM
I think you should get whatever makes you happy and fits your bill as you will be the one shooting it. If you have a certain scope burning in your head and you reach a state of "reason" then go for it. If you think that you wont be happy until you get a NF then go with it. I can speak from experience, I have skimped the first time and not been happy until I got what I originally wanted.