PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Anyone shooting a Mark II TR?

rks1949
03-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Are any of you shooting a Mark II TR ? It looks like a fun gun,and maybe has some potental for short range sniping? Any known problems with it? Thanks! Ron

rks1949
03-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Well,after 4 days,and no answer :(,it looks like I'll just take the plunge,and see if it's all that I've read about!

jlopez
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I have owned a TR since they were introduced. I have 2000 rounds through this rifle and not a single problem. Even shot an Appleseed project in the rain an not one hiccup. Bolt is not real smooth out of the box but will smooth out over use. They now offer this with a threaded barrel if you are planning of putting a suppressor on it.

Wolff match ammo is your friend and not to horribly expensive.

Have fun with this rifle.

rks1949
03-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks,I recieved one after this post. It had to be returned to the factory for repairs (it shot way too low) ??? What shooting I did get to do with it,was impressive (except for the problem of not being able to get enough elevation). It shot very small groups,right out of the box. Thanks for the ammo tip! Ron

HeavyDuty
03-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I just ordered one from Bud's yesterday - I had a chance to handle a TRR at a local store last week and was *very* impressed.

What are you doing for glass? I'm trying to decide whether I want a fixed 10x or one of the Mueller 4-14 APTs. Either way it's going to get a one piece rail and 1/8" bottom metal.

rks1949
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Talked to a tech today. My rifle was "at the range" being checked out after a stock/barrel replacement. If all went well,it should be on it's way back this week! ;D You sure can't beat service like that,from a company! Ron

s2kguy
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Talked to a tech today. My rifle was "at the range" being checked out after a stock/barrel replacement. If all went well,it should be on it's way back this week! ;D You sure can't beat service like that,from a company! Ron

I'd be interested in seeing what they find. I'm new to shooting and just picked up a new Mark II TR. I put a 25 MOA base on it and mounted a scope using Burris Zee Rings (0 offset inserts). I just finished bore sighting (12 yards out) and only needed about 3 MOA of down adjustment and 3 moa of windage. I have not had a chance to get it to the range yet (#@!%* rain), but it seems to me that I should have needed more elevation adjustment to compensate for the 25 MOA base.

rks1949
03-25-2011, 01:19 AM
s2kguy,I'll let you know when it arrives! I don't think mine was the "first" one to have this problem,according to the tech. Ron

s2kguy
03-25-2011, 01:41 PM
s2kguy,I'll let you know when it arrives! I don't think mine was the "first" one to have this problem,according to the tech. Ron

Hi Ron,

Great, thanks. I look forward to your report.
In the mean time, I've contacted Savage and they have informed me that "as long as I can get 'on target', all is good". I'm not sure that I would agree with that statement, since I would not have expected to need a 25 MOA base to "get close" to being "on target" in the first place. However, I will withhold judgment until I can get out to the range and try to zero in @ 50 yards. It's still pretty wet and windy out here. According to the weather reports, it'll stay that way through the weekend, so I'm not going to be able to get to the range until some time next week (at the earliest).

Since I'm new to rifles, I don't have much experience/knowledge as to what is considered "normal" and what I should be concerned about. I'm hoping this turns out to be "much to do about nothing", at least in my case. Not being able to get out to the range is certainly not helping matters.

Thanks Again and Kind Regards,

Steve

rks1949
03-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah,Steve! I'm with you on that! If a rifle needs 25 MOA of adjustment to get on target,somethings not right? Mine wouldn't get "into the bullseye @ 30yds" it was 4 1/8 inches low,and the scope was out of adjustment! :o I should have it back next week,so I'll be sure to give a range report on it! Ron

s2kguy
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Quick update....

The weather cleared up really nicely. I got to the range last weekend.

Friday was my first outing. Unfortunately, I got to the range an hour before they closed. I told them that I was there to zero the scope and it had only been bore sighted. They put me on a 25 yard lane, since I never fired the rifle before.

It seems that I was pretty close with my bore sighting. I think that I only needed about 3 clicks of (down) elevation and another 3 clicks of left windage to get on target. Once zeroed in, I got a chance to shoot a couple of targets before I ran out of time. I did notice some slight issues with parallax. My scope has PA down to 50 yards. I have a 6.5-20 variable and zoomed out to about 11x (could not focus at any higher power at such close range). When I would adjust my eye position, between shots), I noticed an ever so slight shift in where the cross hair was pointing. Even with the parallax issue, for my first time out, I was pretty satisfied with the results. My 5 and 8 shot groups (was having trouble getting the last couple of rounds into the new 10 shot mags) were coming in at between 0.3" and 0.6" @ 25 yards.

I went in on the next day and made sure that i had at least a couple of hours shooting time. I wanted to re-zero @ 50 yards. Unfortunately, the range did NOT have a 50 yard lane, nor would they let me use any of the intermediate posts as a target marker on their 100 yard range; not that they had a post specifically @ 50 yards anyway. Rather than deal with the parallax @ 25 yards, I decided to try to see if I could hit a target @ 100 yards. The range coordinator told me that I may not even make it out to the target, given my 25 yard zero. So, if I can't see any hits on paper, that I should start to look for impact points ahead of the target. I figured, O.K., what have I get to lose? It's all a learning experience for me.

I zoomed all the way up to 20x, adjusted my PA to 100 yards and centered the cross hair on the target. The target was easy to see and I squeezed out my first round. To my surprise, I was only about 4"-5" low and about an inch to the side. After making the required adjustments. I was able to pretty consistently shoot 8 to 10 shot groupings between 1.5" and 2" @ 100 yards. That probably not real impressive for you seasoned shooters; but for a complete newbie, I'm pretty happy with my results. I can't wait to start really working on my technique to get the groups even smaller.

It still does not make sense to me that a 25 MOA base would require so little adjustment to get "on target" even at 100 yards. However, I can't really complain about the results. This rig set up seems to shoot well. I'm looking forward to practicing with it; so that my skills can be worthy of the rifle.

Oh, by the way, what I was shooting is as follows:
Savage Mark II TR
DIP 25 MOA base
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44
Burris Signature Zee rings ( 0 offset inserts)
Harris 6"-9" bipod
Rear bag
Ammo: SK Standard Plus

M Blakley
04-18-2011, 10:27 PM
I have been shooting a TR for a few months and have been very pleased with the results. Everyone who has shot it likes it. With calm weather and decent ammo it has shot 8 five shot groups measuring .35"- in a row at 50yds. The ammo I have found that works well/best without costing an arm and leg is Wolf Extra Match and RWS Rifle Match. CCI Sub Sonic HP shot well but just a little lower. I have not been able to discern how much difference barrel cleanliness makes but it seems to shoot best at least fouled and the previously mentioned groups were shot with at least 300 rounds since cleaning. I would not hesitate to recommend the TR.
Now if I can get the 93R17BRJ to shoot >:(
Lucky to get 1" at fifty and no sense wasting ammo at 100 (4"-you knew I would try)