PDA

View Full Version : Hornady LNL powder measure

Tommacebb
03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
My son and I just started reloading with the Hornady LNL Classic kit and every thing went well except the powder measure. I completely disassembled it and cleaned it as directed but we had trouble getting it to measure consistently. It worked fairly well with the IMR 8208 I was using for my 204 Ruger but was terrible with the RL17 my son was using for his 300WSM. Is there a break in period or any tricks to get it to measure consistently? Thanks.

Aircraftmech76
03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Most measures made like that don't do too well with stick powders. About the only measure I know of that works PERFECTLY with stick powders is the JDS Quick Measure.

Kevin

Eric in NC
03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Use the same pattern every time (move to bottom of stroke, tap 3 times, or whatever). Being very consistent and tapping the measure/mount/press while the powder measure part is "open" will help - Lyman 55 measures even have a little "knocker" built into them. As was said, stick powders and volumetric measures can be troublesome.

GaCop
03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
The cheap little Lee powder measure has really surprised me over the years. Accurate measurement with a broad spectrum of powders.

Tommacebb
03-08-2011, 09:54 AM
I did some more playing around with my powder measure last night. I disassembled it, washed it thoroughly with dish soap and let it air dry. I then did a test run of 25 loads being very consistant in how I operated the powder measure. The first was way off compared the the others, .8 of a grain, but the rest were within .1 of a grain of the average. I'm new to reloading and I'm wondering if .1 of a grain would have a noticeable effect on accuracy.

laportecharlie
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I doubt very much that you would notice any effect on accuracy in your 204 Ruger and you for sure won't in your son's 300WSM.
Charlie

GaCop
03-09-2011, 09:00 AM
.1 grain is about the best your going to see from a commercial over the counter dispenser.