PDA

View Full Version : Sightron SIII 10-50X 60mm preliminary report

DougMH
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
There were a lot of things that were wrong about my outing Range 1 on Marine Corps Base, Quantico, VA last Saturday, but the new Signtron SIII 10-50X 60mm FCH (Fine Crosshair) was NOT one of them.

Pros:

1) Eye relief was fine. 2) Image was crisp once in focus (see Cons), 3) tracking was superb (see description below), 4) 1/8 click increments in windage and elevation are great for a target shooter, 5) clicks, both windage and elevation are very distinct, 6) setting the knobs to zero was easy.

Cons:

1) Focus knob is very sensitive... much more sensitive than say binoculars. 2) The crosshairs and not terribly distinct. They seem to be almost a brown color and the contrast is not great. It was overcast all day and I was still able to put those crosshairs exactly where I wanted them... so I guess a low light situation isn't terrible. It may be if you're shooting very late in the day and the sun was below the horizon.

For my tracking test, I fired 6 rounds. 1) Fire, 2) Up one full rotation of elevation (10 MOA) and fire, 3) right one full rotation of windage (10 MOA) and fire , 4) down one full rotation (10 MOA) and fire, 5) left two full rotations (20 MOA) and fire, right one full rotation (10 MOA) and fire. The 1st and 6th bullets formed a Venn diagram. In case you've never been to marriage counseling, a Venn diagram looks like two circles (A & B) vertically the same but overlapping slightly horizontally. The overlapping area is labeled C and in marriage counseling it's the common ground between husband and wife... I speak from experience and don't ask about the amount of overlap in my case. But for shooting, that fact that there was about 30% overlap was great.

Going from 100 yds for the tracking test to 300yds was a piece of cake. After finishing at the 300, zeroing the knobs was a piece of cake. It zeros like many other scopes with 3 set screws. The nice thing about the set screws is that they're deep in the knobs and can be loosened enough to perform the zero without any fear of being unscrewed so far as to fall out.

I guess that's about it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

GaCop
03-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Good report on what appears to be a good scope.

Clover_Shooter
03-17-2011, 05:32 PM
What base and scope rings did you use. How much clearance do you have.

Thanks

pdog06
03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
With a Farrell 1pc base and "high" Burris Signature Zee rings, mine fit about perfect.

Nice report Doug.

rsbhunter
03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I was wondering how the clarity was at the high end of magnification, the highest power i have now is a Zeiss Conquest 6x20, and it's great at 20...but i have a cheaper scope that at 18-20 gets "cloudy". I know that the Sightrons are good scopes, looking at a 6-24x42 SII bigsky.......OR a Vortex Viper.......Thanks for any info....rsbhunter

pdog06
03-19-2011, 12:56 PM
I just saw one of these 10-50's for sale on a Pa. gun site for $750. It was NIB and came with a new set of TPS rings. VERY tempting indeed. Definately a great deal!