PDA

View Full Version : SSS Competition Trigger

Pages : [1] 2

Skunce
03-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm installing a Sharp Shooter Competition trigger for the first time and the instructions don't say anything about what to use to lock the adjusting screws in place. I was thinking I would use blue Loctite, but I'm curious to know what others are using. I want to be able to change the adjustments later if needed.

Scalian
03-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I have 2 of them and didn't put anything on the adjustment screws. They have yet to move on me. I asked SSS the same question and they said to not use loctite. FWIW

82boy
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm installing a Sharp Shooter Competition trigger for the first time and the instructions don't say anything about what to use to lock the adjusting screws in place. I was thinking I would use blue Loctite, but I'm curious to know what others are using. I want to be able to change the adjustments later if needed.

DO NOT USE ANY LOCTITE ON THE TRIGGER. (Unless you want to trash the hole works.) Loctite has a wicking affect and will creak and crawl everywere you don't want it to go. Some people use finger nail polish but, there is no need to use any product on the screws of the trigger.

Skunce
03-06-2011, 03:05 PM
The screws on mine turn very easily, is that normal? Seems like they wouldn't hold their adjustment.

82boy
03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
The screws on mine turn very easily, is that normal? Seems like they wouldn't hold their adjustment.

yes

pdog06
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Yes it is normal for the screws to turn easily.Nothing wrong with that cause they are fresh threads.

Mine have backed out of adjustment on almost everyone Ive owned. So I use medium strength locktite on mine. Not a gallon of it so it seeps everywhere, just a dab so it will hold the screw in place. Must work cause mine are not trash now ;). Havent had any trouble since. But if you use it make sure it is MEDIUM strength. DO NOT go by the color, cause different companies use different colors.

I also have 1 rifle basix SAV2 trigger that I did not put anything on to see if it would back out as well. And it did, so dont think that there is something wrong with yours, cause there isnt.

Skunce
03-07-2011, 12:31 AM
I saw an ad for new product, Loctite tape the other day, that may be a good solution. I'd just like the peace of mind that the screws aren't going to move once they're set.

lostart
03-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Try some gun tite from uncle mikes....holds but not too tight

calib
03-07-2011, 02:10 AM
skunce,

im glad you asked this question cause my trigger should be here any day. i was wondering if the directions talked about adjusting the trigger screws much? or if it is mostly instalation

Blue Avenger
03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
they will explain adj also.

MichaelStrauss
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
On my first SSS, nothing has changed since installed. On the second one, the safety screw kept backing off, rendering the safety unusable; a little dab of medium loctite seems to have fixed that one, as well. That said, I wouldn't use loctite unless needed, and then only a minimal amount.

KURT L
03-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I dab a little paint on screws instead of locktite and it seems to hold good on mounts rings etc.

calib
03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
got my trigger today now to see how this all works out

range rat
03-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Maybe try some Loctite 248. It's in like a chap stick tube. No mess and stays where you put it.

Idahojoe
03-08-2011, 09:31 PM
This might sound funny but a top bow shooter would use string wax on screws so the viberations wouldn't back them out. It works. Joe

calib
03-08-2011, 11:46 PM
that trigger was soo easy to instal and adjust. have to take it to the range soon

nohair
03-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Hello, I just installed mine and I found that the safety bar engagement screw is turned almost all the way out to reach the safety bar - about 1/8" of threads left. And in the directions it says that the over travel adjustment only needs to be turned "approximately" 1 turn, mine needed to be turned much more that that.

The rear of the SSS assembly is sitting on the Savage trigger frame and the pull is #1.75.

It just seemed that the screws are a bit far out, is that how they are or is something not quite right?

Thanks,
NoHair

rsbhunter
03-10-2011, 11:53 PM
I just installed mine and found the same thing, except i can't get the overtravel screw far enough in to take as much overtravel out as i want...maybe i'm not adjusting it right? Does the overtravel need to be done before the safty adjustment? Thanks for any help...even as is , it is a nice trigger....rsbhunter

calib
03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
i think the safety was the first thing. do you have the directions

nohair
06-26-2011, 01:57 AM
I had installed min correctly according to the instructions. This weekend I went to a long range shoot and had the screws come loose after about 150 rds, and the safety started acting funny. Tore it down today and found a loose screw, installed the Accutrigger back into the gun and consider their trigger a POS and a liability in the field. I guess it would be OK if you just sat at a bench and shot.
Lesson learned.