PDA

View Full Version : SSS Competition Trigger

Pages : 1 [2]

Mallard57
06-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I had installed min correctly according to the instructions. This weekend I went to a long range shoot and had the screws come loose after about 150 rds, and the safety started acting funny. Tore it down today and found a loose screw, installed the Accutrigger back into the gun and consider their trigger a POS and a liability in the field. I guess it would be OK if you just sat at a bench and shot.
Lesson learned.

Lock tite?

dwm
06-26-2011, 12:16 PM
I have several of these triggers and once you figure out what is involved with installing them and how to tune them they are really great.

1. Cut the notch in the trigger carrier.

2. Grind down the trigger guard so the trigger will fit between the action and the stock/trigger guard.

3. Follow the directions very closely, at least until you figure out how the mechanism works.

4. Bump stock on ground and work the action hard several times to test it to make sure everything works and it doesn't fire when you don't want it to.

The screws coming loose can be solved by applying blue loctite or finger nail polish to the screws after you get them set where you want them.

Be careful mentioning loctite on this forum though, it is a common occurrence to get flamed for even thinking about using loctite on anything. ;D

bigedp51
06-26-2011, 04:58 PM
I spent half my life working on aircraft and the last 25 years as a quality control inspector making sure screws and bolts didn't come loose on these same aircraft.

On a delicate mechanism like the SSS trigger or ANY trigger you do not want to use any type loctite that can get inside the trigger mechanism and gum up the works.

Clear nail polish is nothing more than a liquid acrylic plastic, that is desolved with nail polish remover (acetone). A dab of nail polish will flow into the screw slot or hex head hole of any small screw and as long as the nail polish is touching the screw and the trigger housing the screw will NOT move.

We used the same basic principle on helicopters to keep screws and fasteners from vibrating loose on these Polish Hang gliders and they NEVER came loose. A small dab of paint, a small shot from a hot glue gun ETC will work also, just keep all of this type of material on the OUTSIDE of the trigger.

Don't cry about a loose screw it could be rusted and not want to move at all, and a dab of nail polish or paint helps keep aircraft from falling out of the sky.

Cycler
06-26-2011, 05:16 PM
DO NOT USE ANY LOCTITE ON THE TRIGGER. (Unless you want to trash the hole works.) Loctite has a wicking affect and will creak and crawl everywere you don't want it to go.
That's not correct unless you flood the screws with the stuff. It's used routinely on scope mounting bolts and, unless used to great excess, doesn't get into the action.

A small drop holds the screw well but doesn't get into any place it shouldn't. Blue (Grade 242) or Purple (Grade 222) are low to medium strength Loctite and will hold small bolts firmly but allow disassembly with ordinary tools and no heat.

My Rifle Basix SAV-RAT rimfire replacement trigger came with a recommendation to use Blue Loctite on the adjustment bolts after you get the settings you want.

bigedp51
06-26-2011, 09:44 PM
DO NOT USE ANY LOCTITE ON THE TRIGGER. (Unless you want to trash the hole works.) Loctite has a wicking affect and will creak and crawl everywere you don't want it to go.
That's not correct unless you flood the screws with the stuff. It's used routinely on scope mounting bolts and, unless used to great excess, doesn't get into the action.

A small drop holds the screw well but doesn't get into any place it shouldn't. Blue (Grade 242) or Purple (Grade 222) are low to medium strength Loctite and will hold small bolts firmly but allow disassembly with ordinary tools and no heat.

My Rifle Basix SAV-RAT rimfire replacement trigger came with a recommendation to use Blue Loctite on the adjustment bolts after you get the settings you want.

My new Remington 700 had a drop of liquid plastic placed over the top each adjustment screw on their factory trigger and NO loctite. A set of scope bases and rings is NOT a trigger assembly and a tooth pick and nail polish on top of the screw will hold it in position. There is no way I would put loctite on the small trigger adjustment screws threads and fight to make adjustments down the road or take a chance of stripping these small screws.

Clear nail polish was all that was used on my new SSS trigger and after readjusting my Remington trigger.
You are not rebuilding an engine or transmission and these set screws do NOT carry any load.

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

http://www.switchbarrel.com/Savage%20110%20Trigger%20Adjustment_files/SSSInstall.htm

dwm
06-26-2011, 10:20 PM
I have scraped the sealer/finger nail polish off many Remington triggers and to tell you the truth I would much rather deal with a small dab of blue loctite any day!

Just my opinion though, do what you want ... :o

Mallard57
06-26-2011, 11:09 PM
BigedP51,
Nail polish sounds good to me.
I probably have twenty years as a jet engine mechanic and I can honestly say, I never remember seeing any thread locker. Anything that needed to be safetied was either safety wired or had some type of self locking feature, are the methods you were talking about FAA approved? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just asking, I have lived a sheltered life so I'm open to learning new things.
Jeff

bigedp51
06-27-2011, 01:41 AM
BigedP51,
Nail polish sounds good to me.
I probably have twenty years as a jet engine mechanic and I can honestly say, I never remember seeing any thread locker. Anything that needed to be safetied was either safety wired or had some type of self locking feature, are the methods you were talking about FAA approved? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just asking, I have lived a sheltered life so I'm open to learning new things.
Jeff

The pots in electronic devices, adjustment screws in instruments, any small adjustment screw was sealed with a coat of clear lacquer or a liquid plastic. I'm not sure about FAA approval, I worked at a Army overhaul depot and we played by our own rules and the FAA didn't have any control over the military.

BUT the methods you mentioned were what we used and were standard practice on normal hardware, lock nuts, safety wire and painted slippage marks.

Aircraft Bolt Torquing joke
Inspector to mechanic: Did you torque those bolts?

Mechanic: Yes I tightened the the bolt until the threads started to smoke and then gave the bolt two more full turns.