PDA

View Full Version : CHOATE STOCK AND BENCH REST

joeb33050
10-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Yesterday I shot the M10 with Choate stock for the first time, from the bench. What a nightmare! The bottom of the forend and butt end have those corrugations/cutouts, making it virtually impossible to control this gun from the bench. The whole business is a nightmare. Does anyone out there have a method of shooting these from the bench? Some, 2, pieces of aluminum are needed, and badly!!! What are they thinking of?
joe b.

pdog06
10-21-2009, 08:45 AM
which choate stock? gessing the ultimate varmint?

I never had a problem shooting my Savage with a ultimate varmint stock from bags. Actually, I thought it sat in the bags pretty good. I know the cutouts you are referring to, and it wont slide in the bags, but basically I think they were designed to shoot off of a bipod and use the mounted adjustment monopod in the rear, although I dont really like that monopod.

songdogslayer
10-21-2009, 09:15 AM
I have the ultimate varmint as well as the ultimate sniper. The front end works great for me on both types (ultimate varmint is sloped while the ultimate sniper is not), but the monopod on the back is not for repeat shots on the same target. That thing moves all over the place . . . you're better off removing the monopod and resting the back end on a sand bag. Also, neither of the cheek pieces that come with those stocks work for me - I have a 30 mm scope with 50 mm objective and I just cannot get the bubble efficiently with either cheek piece so I have to modify the taller of the two.
Hey, those choate stocks aren't "pretty" but they sure seem to do the job.
-Scott

LG
10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Jpe,

Are you talking about the serrations on the bottom surfaces of the forend and buttstock? In my experience the forend is not a major problem, it rides the front rest reasonably well. Nevertheless a flatter and/or smoother surface would be better. I though about covering the serrations with tape or something just to make it smoother. Or maybe reshape the forend with bondo. I just never got around to it... some of these days.

As far as the buttstock, I found that it didn't ride the rear bag very well. It's too wide and those serrations on the bottom don't help. What I do is I just don't use a rear bag with bunny ears with the choate stock. I use a small, flat sandbag. I found that the buttstock of the choate stock sits better on a flat sandbag than bunny ear type rear bags. Also I guess you could defeat the serrations with tape or a bondo job.

Fjold
10-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Get some body filler, cover over the serrations, sand smooth and paint it black.

joeb33050
10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
This seems to be a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock. I've just spent ~3 hours fiddling with gun and rests. Taped up front and rear serrated bottoms. It's now ~fair. I'm thinking of just sanding those serrations off the stock bottom.
Thanks;
joe b.

groupshooter22
10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Thats what I did with mine. But I took it a step further. I used a verticle belt sander and made the flat bottom a v shape to fit my rear bag and then I sanded off the serrations. After that it worked in the bags a lot better.