PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Job woes, what the heck?

Fiend
03-04-2011, 09:56 PM
so after a nice trigger job I did on my factory trigger I got 1lb4ounce pull weight with full trigger/sear/saftey function no creep etc.etc.. worked perfect and always exacting pull weight but now 450rounds later I am getting this:

if you put the firearm "ckocked" on safety and accidently or intensionaly pull the trigger when you then take it off safety and go to fire the pull is now 8-10 ounces instead of 1lb 4 ounces... is it some kind of binding issue? bad sear? should I stone the "sear" maybe it needs a flatter sharper edge on it instead of a smooth taper "sharpen it up in other words".. still get the 1.4lbs but once safety goes on and touch or pull on trigger for example go to fire and whoops safety is on, flick it off to fire and 8ounce drop in pull weight... this happened consistenly after 100 test pulls/fires... I guess I could leave it and just "be aware" but am I crazy thinking a possible 8ounce pull is a little too rediculous for benchrest shooting?

I've done TONS of trigger jobs of the years for all my rifles,handungs and for others who paid for it and this never happened before.... while I can get a 10/22 or ar/15 stock trigger to low 1lbxxounces it seems savage is another animal. I used the gatewood instruction/method of getting the pullweight down : http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage/

I

Fiend
03-04-2011, 09:57 PM
probably going to just cave and buy a SSS competition trigger if i HAVE to but low on $ atm would like to try and get this figured out as it was a Realllly nice trigger once it was all done.. and why put out $100 when you got all you need allready "unless it's FUBAR"

pdog06
03-04-2011, 10:11 PM
check your safety screw adjustment. It may have backed off slightly, but not enough to fully trip the sear. Once re-adjusted put a dab of medium strength locktite on it to hold it secure.

David Clark
03-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Yes, the safety is to loose and when you pull the trigger you are not able to fire but you are pulling it off the sear some,

Fiend
03-05-2011, 12:41 AM
yep! that was it, pulled it out the stock and noticed the sear pull halfway out of the trigger's notch with safety on. increased pull weight about an ounce "turned in the screw that puts tension on that trigger wire/spring" took out safety screw put back in with loctite and now functions flawless... beats the original factory pull of 4lbs and my tension screw on the spring is still halfway screwed in.... you "can" get around 2lbs backing that tension screw way out but then you risk failure to reset and auto/slam fires where the gun goes off by itself.

Fiend
03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
1/4 turn on the tension screw = about 2 ounces