PDA

View Full Version : Source for bulk action screws

MDHOGGER
03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I recently have bought a couple of laminate stock for projects and the necessary parts to finish. I of course bought sets of front and rear action screw sets from a couple of sources for between $8 and $11 dollars a set. I began to have one of the screws open up from the constant fitting of the action and barrel to the stock. I was wanting to know if anyone has found a source for bulk screws that would be the equivalent or better quality. I removed front and rear screws from a few of my wood/laminate stocks and get an average front action screw length of 1 1/8" to 1 3/16" and rear action screw lengths of 1 3/8" to 1 5/8". My thought was to just buy a number of 1 3/4" long screws and cut to the required length. I have gone to the local Home Depot and Lowes with no luck finding a match. I found these online at Fastenal but not sure that the black oxide finish is the correct match. http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=24714 Anyone with a better source.

dcloco
03-03-2011, 05:38 PM
I buy stainless cap screws from ACE Hardware in their bolt section. Cut them off to the length you need....

GaCop
03-08-2011, 09:10 AM
+1, ACE "is the place"..............their cap screws are harder than the factory screws too.

MDHOGGER
03-08-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't have a Ace Hardware near me but I took a chance on a online place called Bolt Depot. I am trying box of 100 1 1/4" socket heads for the front action screws for $11.27. Also a little more expensive button head screws for the rear action screw at 1 3/4". And a few stainless too. http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=13&cs=71&cm=25&cd=1227
http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=13&cs=72&cm=25&cd=1227 I have either made a big score or wasted a few bucks.

TOO Builder
03-09-2011, 12:18 AM
I just ordered some rear trigger guard (the wood screw ones)screws and a front tg screw right from Savage. I think they were $2 or so, cheaper than Brownells also.

MDHOGGER
03-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Too Builder whats the process to order items directly from Savage. Is there a online process or do you call them up. What method is used for payments?

TOO Builder
03-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Just go to Savagearms.com and click on the parts finder link. It asks for the serial number of your rifle. I needed some stainless screws so I just typed in the serial number of my 12bvss. A parts diagram comes up and you just click on the number of the part you want. Most items come up as available to gunsmiths only however the actions screws didn't.

I had to order some T-shirts also of course and then you just use your credit card. Simple deal.

sinman
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I order mine from mcmaster Carr in bulk. I with the ss ones. The only problem is on some stocks you have to file the front one down a little but they look way better than factory.

blom
03-10-2011, 08:19 AM
If your'e going to be doing a lot of stock fitting ( off and on ) Midway and Brownels both offer stock fitting screws, much easier to work with, they have a tee handle instead of slot or hex holes.

calib
03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
it's not really bulk, but you can buy them at brownells