PDA

View Full Version : varmint contour break

calib
03-03-2011, 12:36 AM
has anyone tried to put a muzzle break on a varmint contour barrel? i am gonna build a 7stw on a numerich savage barrel and would like to put a break on it as i have heard the 7 stw is a thumper round. do any of you have any info on what break to go with or suggestions of what ill need to do. dont want to spend a lot

geargrinder
03-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Get, with Sinman. He's done two for me. One of them on a varmint contour. Another on a heavier barrel. I got them from Ross Schuler for $40.

calib
03-03-2011, 12:12 PM
is ross schuler a member or a company? if you can send or post a pic of your varmint cotour set up w break

jwpark
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
http://weww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1302004

His email is rem40xb1@msn.com

Geargrinder, did you send your while rifle w/ action to sinman or just the barrel?

Since RWS muzzlebrakes need to timed (left right ports aligned), thought you would need to send the whole rifle get the muzzlebrake on.

Jay

calib
03-03-2011, 04:10 PM
has anyone ever used a vaise break? i had seen in midway that you can get them in different diameters so to match a barrel O.D.

rsbhunter
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a Vais on my custom Rem 700 300RUM....the gun weighs 12lbs, which helps alot, but the brake is great!!!!!! I honestly don't have to put the "oh my god, here we go" death grip on it while shooting it....VERY soft shooter....rsbhunter

geargrinder
03-03-2011, 11:24 PM
is ross schuler a member or a company? if you can send or post a pic of your varmint cotour set up w break

I don't have a picture of the varmint barrel. Here is my heavier. Sorry, it's a bit out of focus.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001328.jpg

geargrinder
03-03-2011, 11:31 PM
http://weww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1302004

His email is rem40xb1@msn.com

Geargrinder, did you send your while rifle w/ action to sinman or just the barrel?

Since RWS muzzlebrakes need to timed (left right ports aligned), thought you would need to send the whole rifle get the muzzlebrake on.

Jay

That's the guy.

I didn't send my rifle to Sinman. I have a couple lathes, but I suck at threading. So, I headspaced the barrel and took enough off the end of the brake to get the brake timed correctly.

Sinman has brakes that are very similar. He also does has shims to time the brake as well as thread protectors.

I really recommend this style brake if you're ever going to be shooting prone. A Vais style will kick up all sorts of dust, dirt, and rocks.

sinman
03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Vais are twice the price almost and usually come in a odd thread. makes a difference if you want to add a can or thread protector.

helotaxi
03-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Vais usually come in a odd thread.

That rather instantly ruled them out for me.

calib
03-05-2011, 03:25 AM
geargrinder i do like the looks of that break. i am trying to get a quote from sinman so i can figure out this whole deal. thanks looks good

rinodods
03-05-2011, 04:19 AM
I have a Vais on my 300wm. It works well but the drawbacks already mentioned are quite correct. It throws dust and rocks like crazy shooting prone. Also the threading isn't what you'd find on a suppressor or most other muzzle attached devices so you are kinda stuck with it.

calib
03-05-2011, 04:51 AM
im not gonna get a vais i like the style that gear grinder has on his rifle in the pic